Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2962
Timing Chain Slack
Bulltear Ad

Thread: Timing Chain Slack

Timing Chain Slack

I am currently in the process of putting back together an amc 304 engine (not really rebuilding) just want something that will run until i have the time and $$ to sink into rebuilding a 360.
    I have read in my chiltons how to check the slack in the chain.
    according to my measurements it is 3/4" out and the max that it allows is 7/8", however it seems by looking at it that there is way to much slack.
    here is a photo of the chain, what would you do?
    !)ave

http://www.greenelephant.com/timingchain.jpg

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS jeepsr4ever's Avatar
    Thats close...I would replace it. I have seen worse though
    [COLOR=#000000]
    Featuring www.StarLabCNC.com[/URL] for CNC plasma machines
    1-651-433-3689 TOLL FREE 1-855-433-3689

New chain.

The last thing you want is to be running your beast and have a timing chain go on you. you gotta figure the difference between 3/4 and 7/8 is about 2 mm and it will not tighten up later.

if you are just running this block from one place to another, thats one thing but if you plan on depending on it untill money comes your way, spend a little extra now so you are not forced to make a lesser decision later.

Just my opnion.

Thanks for the advice!
    I am a complete newbie at this and this and was trying to eliminate fixing anything if it wasn't broken (however this is pretty close) .
    How tough is it to replace?
    Should a person do the gears and chain?
    I am looking to make it run well, but not really last forever, is there a specific brand you would recommend?
    !)ave

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS
    Quote Originally Posted by !)ave
    Thanks for the advice!
    I am a complete newbie at this and this and was trying to eliminate fixing anything if it wasn't broken (however this is pretty close) .
    How tough is it to replace?
    Should a person do the gears and chain?
    I am looking to make it run well, but not really last forever, is there a specific brand you would recommend?
    !)ave
    !)ave - do the swap!!! I think my double roller chain and gear set was like $50 from Fastengine Parts!! (aka: mad dog racing) off E-bay. Here's the current Auction

Mudrat
    " “It is said that men go mad in herds, and only come to their senses slowly, and one by one.." -Charles MacKay
    "'The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.' "
    -Ronald Reagan

VOTE

Timing Chain / WPump Bolts

Great Info!
    Another Question
    This 304 I bought pretty cheap, but it was in pieces.
    The person who took it apart was hadn't really labeled any of the bolts
    that were pulled out and I am trying to figure out what bolts go into the timing cover end water pump. What is the best way to do that, or is there a place where I could purchase a new set?

!)ave

On way to measure slack in the timing set is to move the engine timing marks to 10*BTDC by putting a ratchet on the crankshaft pulley bolt and turning the engine till the timing mark is reached. Then pop the distributor cap off the distributor. Now have a buddy standing buy to watch the distributor rotor.

You start to put pressure on the ratchet and move the engine. Instruct your buddy to yell when he first sees the rotor start to move. When you hear your buddy yell, you stop the movement of the engine.

Now take a look at the timing marks... If you've gone over about 5.5* of movement, replace the timing set. It's worn

See how simple things can be?

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS
    Quote Originally Posted by LEVE
    You start to put pressure on the ratchet and move the engine. Instruct your buddy to yell when he first sees the rotor start to move. When you hear your buddy yell, you stop the movement of the engine.

Now take a look at the timing marks... If you've gone over about 5.5* of movement, replace the timing set. It's worn

See how simple things can be?
    Cool tip there Leve!! =D>

As for the bolts in question . . . measure and replace if they look to grungy. Timing cover thicknes + gasket thickness + 1/2 in the block should do ya

Mudrat
    " “It is said that men go mad in herds, and only come to their senses slowly, and one by one.." -Charles MacKay
    "'The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.' "
    -Ronald Reagan

VOTE