Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2962

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2962
Need math wiz

Thread: Need math wiz

Need math wiz

I was using a tree saw over the weekend and wanted to figure out how much it weight when it was srtaight out (other than really f'ing heavy) . It is a 5 pound electric chain saw on a 12ft pole. What is the math to figure out the weight???

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS
    you know that the saw is 5 lbs. the pole is 12ft long. need to know type of pole and type of material it is made out of. also need the thickness and diameter.without seeing the setup i'll guess about 120lbs. you also got to take into consideration the saw if you have it mounted on the top of the
    pole and the extention cord. its a W.A.G.
    83 eagle (r.i.p.)
    85 gl1200 gold wing LTD pilot
    1999 gl1500C valkyrie(plain gold wing)
    1994 jeep grand cherokee limited pilot
    McDonnell Douglas c-17 mechanic
    corrupting people since 1962

It is a 2in telescoping fiberglass pole. All of the wireing runs thru the pole.

Well, really, it's a matter of leverage. Grasp it with your right hand at the very end, and left hand three feet up. My fuzzy 2 AM logic figures that (in theroy) when you put the pivot point so that you have three feet one one side, and nine feet on the other, the ratio is 3:1 Thus, add a 5 pound weight to the long end, and it's relative weight that your right hand has to push down is 15 pounds.

You could ofset this by attaching a counter weight to the short end (15 lbs) and in theroy, it would be perfectly balenced at the point where your left hand is.

Am I just making stuff up as I go here, or does this make sense?

more thought to it, you would have to add 1/2 the total weight of just the pole to the counterweight to offset the difference in weight of the pole.

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS
    Put it on a scale and weigh everything - that's the weight
    Now if you looking at the leverage factor and and all ... well good luck as it does depend on the pivot point(s) and the angle at which it is held. You can go to a calculator page and see if you can find one. This one has the most and wildest calculators I have ever seen in one place.

Pat
    " “It is said that men go mad in herds, and only come to their senses slowly, and one by one.." -Charles MacKay
    "'The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.' "
    -Ronald Reagan

VOTE

MudRat, You are the man!!!!

That has got to be the best link found yet. Thank you so much for sharing that. Now when I want to find out for sure what I am doing instead of my fuzzy physics, I know where to go.
    It's not that I am afraid to die....
    It's just that I don't want to be there when it happens -Anon
    Pics of Jeeps