Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
J20 Axle Knuckles

Thread: J20 Axle Knuckles

Thank you from BT ULTRA TECH MASTER!!! pyagid's Avatar

J20 Axle Knuckles

I have a set of J20 axles, 8 lug.
    Does anyone know if Chevy D44 flat top knuckles will bolt on? IF so is there a specifc knuckle that i need?

I found
    stock cheby early 70's dana 44 open knuckles. $100 per set shipped
    Which appears to be a good price, will these fit my axle?

Thanks
    -Paul
    "Live as if your were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever."
    - Mahatma Gandhi

http://www.mikeysway.org/ <~~~ Friend of the family. 100% of donations are contributed. All Taxes and fees are paid for by an outside source

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS tufcj's Avatar
    They should, a 44 is a 44. I have flat top knuckles from a 77 Wagoneer on my front 44HD axle that came from a 3/4 ton, 8 lug Chevy truck. I picked up the entire wagoneer axle for $100, so that's a little high for just the flat top knuckles, IMO.

Bob
    tufcj
    1969 AMX
    1967 Rambler Rogue

If you need a tool and don't buy it...
    you'll eventually pay for it...
    and not have it.
    Henry Ford

Thanks. I have not been able to find them local, and best price i could find anyplace else on line for both knuckles is $175. ALthough that is with both sides machined and tapped.

Maybe i should search a little more see if i could find them cheaper

-Paul
    - Mahatma Gandhi

http://www.mikeysway.org/ <~~~ Friend of the family. 100% of donations are contributed. All Taxes and fees are paid for by an outside source

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS tufcj's Avatar
    Probably isn't bad if they're machined flat, and drilled and tapped. Mine were from a Colorado wagoneer, so no pitting or major rust. Just dusted them with a wire wheel, used the high steer arms for hole placement (you can see the raised bosses on the underside), clamped them in a machinists vise on my drill press. It did take a little work to get them square to the drill. I had to do both sides, since neither wagoneer knuckle is drilled. I also cut off the factory arm and ground it smooth.

Bob
    tufcj
    1969 AMX
    1967 Rambler Rogue

If you need a tool and don't buy it...
    you'll eventually pay for it...
    and not have it.
    Henry Ford

yeah they are off and early 70s Chevy so only 1 side is machined and tapped. THe other side i would have to do which would not be a problem.

I plan on doing the same, cutting the lower arm off so I could use hi steer arms and my H1 wheels

Thanks for the help

-Paul
    - Mahatma Gandhi