Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968
All Tube Nochers are Created Equal - or are they?

Thread: All Tube Nochers are Created Equal - or are they?

All Tube Nochers are Created Equal - or are they?

What would you reccomend for a tube nocher.

I've seen some things on ebay for $39.00 then others for $216 - whats the difference?

I don't mind paying for the more expensive unit if it will be the last one I buy, and be able to do everything I could ever want with it. But I'd hate to buy 3 cheap nochers and always have sub-par results.

Anyone out there have a reccomendation? I'd greatly appreciate some insight.
    Out to prove that AMC is still one of the best around!

I have a Pro-tools Nocther, a hole saw style. It is thier upper end unit with the adjustable v-block for off-set notches. With this style, I've had some
    difficulty doing nocthes of 50degrees or more. Good quality holes saws go a long way in making nice tight nocthes. I use mine in a larger drill press
    with low head speed and a little cutting oil. If you can keep all the teeth on the hole saw, they do last quite a while. I have a buddy who has a end-mill style nocther (it kicks butt) however at a little over $3200 it better.
    Hope that helps

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS
    I too have the Pro Tools 'Racer' version ($180 now, but ask Keith for a discount, he's been flexible in the past). I've only done 15-16 cuts with it (all with the same hole saw, without the bit of course). The only problem I've had with it is recentering the bit after an off center cut. I finally used a couple scrap pieces of DOM to verify center.
    I got mine from Keith off the 4x4Fabricators forum.

Pat
    " “It is said that men go mad in herds, and only come to their senses slowly, and one by one.." -Charles MacKay
    "'The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.' "
    -Ronald Reagan

VOTE

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS tufcj's Avatar
    I have a "cheapie" $60 Harbor Freight notcher. I put it in my drill press and use a good DeWalt hole saw. It isn't centered quite perfectly on the tube (maybe 1/8" off), but plenty good for the few pieces I made for my Jeep. It's easier than trying to make a notch with a grinding wheel.

Bob
    tufcj
    1969 AMX
    1967 Rambler Rogue

If you need a tool and don't buy it...
    you'll eventually pay for it...
    and not have it.
    Henry Ford

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS jeepsr4ever's Avatar

Re: All Tube Nochers are Created Equal - or are they?

Quote Originally Posted by XtremeOverKill
    What would you reccomend for a tube nocher.

I've seen some things on ebay for $39.00 then others for $216 - whats the difference?

I don't mind paying for the more expensive unit if it will be the last one I buy, and be able to do everything I could ever want with it. But I'd hate to buy 3 cheap nochers and always have sub-par results.

Anyone out there have a reccomendation? I'd greatly appreciate some insight.
    Hey man
    [COLOR=#000000]
    Featuring www.StarLabCNC.com[/URL] for CNC plasma machines
    1-651-433-3689 TOLL FREE 1-855-433-3689

MAD props to the man MC!!!

Sorry I've been quiet / non-existant lately
    Started a new job and it's really been consuming my time.

Thanks for the feed guys. I really appreciate it
    Out to prove that AMC is still one of the best around!