Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 360 in YJ

360 in YJ

I'll be putting in a 360 in my YJ and would like to know if anyone has any recommendations on headers for the YJ. Anyone with past experience would be great.

Thank you from BT ULTRA TECH MASTER!!! pyagid's Avatar
    as far as putting it in the YJ, i know advance adapter makes a set of mounts, I just bought them for the YJ frame i am using on my CJ project. I have always run heddman headers in my CJ, although have herd people have problems with them not sealing properly I have never had a problem.

I am thinking for this new project I might go back to normal manifolds though and run a single exhaust instead of dual

-Paul
    "Live as if your were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever."
    - Mahatma Gandhi

http://www.mikeysway.org/ <~~~ Friend of the family. 100% of donations are contributed. All Taxes and fees are paid for by an outside source

Thanks Paul,
    I have another question, I pulled the intake of the motor and it looks likes its been to war and back. Ugly! I'm thinking of getting a new intake and not sure between the Edelbrock "Air Gap" or the "Torker". Which one would you recommend? Also do I have to use the original valley pan or simply a set of head gaskets? Thanks for your help.

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS tufcj's Avatar
    Just my $.02 . Unless you're revving it over 3000 RPM and holding it there (like mud bogs), go with the air-gap or performer series. Use a new valley pan (about $20), it keeps the hot oil off the bottom of the manifold. Be sure to transfer the factory tin baffle from the stock manifold to the torker or performer (I don't know if the air-gap uses it). I've seen instances where oil is sucked thru the PCV system without it.

I ran a torker on my CJ for a while, it really hurt the low RPM torque. I run a performer now, and it works better for low RPM rock crawling. Bought a R4B (long discontinued Edelbrock), which will go on next year when the engine (360) gets a full rebuild.

Bob
    tufcj
    1969 AMX
    1967 Rambler Rogue

If you need a tool and don't buy it...
    you'll eventually pay for it...
    and not have it.
    Henry Ford

Thanks for the info Bob, greatly appreciated. Since you also have a YJ frame with AA motor mounts what Headers will you use? I want to make sure I get some that dont interfere with the mounts. Thanks a bunch.

Bob is there a specific reason your going to use a R4B intake? Are there any perrormance advantages over a new Performer intake? Iknow they factory options on police pack 401 but performance wise are they better then a new Performer?

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS tufcj's Avatar
    Paul has the 360 YJ. He'll have to answer the header question. I got rid of headers because I live in a smog zone now. I have to have the AIR pump and smog rails, it was easiest to just keep the factory high flow manifolds. I run thru a singe 3" exhaust with a free flow cat, and I don't notice any loss of performance. I seldom rev it past 3500.

The R4B is still (supposedly) the best "all around" manifold. I don't know if it will make any difference in performance. I have one on my AMX, and have a 70-up version on the shelf that I want to try. I may not even like it, but as long as the engine is apart, that's what's going back on.

Bob
    tufcj
    1969 AMX
    1967 Rambler Rogue

If you need a tool and don't buy it...
    you'll eventually pay for it...
    and not have it.
    Henry Ford

Thank you from BT ULTRA TECH MASTER!!! pyagid's Avatar
    i Have not put the mounts on yet, nor the motor or anything. I dont think there is going to be a problem with the headers clearing but wont be sure until i get it all fitted

-Paul
    "Live as if your were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever."
    - Mahatma Gandhi

http://www.mikeysway.org/ <~~~ Friend of the family. 100% of donations are contributed. All Taxes and fees are paid for by an outside source

Out of curiosity, could either one of you tell me what probable horsepower and torque numbers I should expect if I install an R4B intake together, 600 CFM carb with a set of 291C heads on an 89 360? I have no idea what to expect so any numbers would be welcome.
    Thanks
    PS you guys are awesome. Very knowledgeable and experienced. Definitely the best board I’m on.

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS
    There's a couple R4B's on e-bay right now ... http://search.ebay.com/r4b_W0QQfkrZ1QQfromZR8

I went with the performer for the 360 going in the Waggie (bored, balanced, blueprinted). Mainly 'cause I bought it before these ebay items ...

Pat
    " “It is said that men go mad in herds, and only come to their senses slowly, and one by one.." -Charles MacKay
    "'The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.' "
    -Ronald Reagan

VOTE