Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2962

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2962
Got a problem ... - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Got a problem ...

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS
    Quote Originally Posted by Lifted79CJ7
    Another measurement that might help - is the front bumper 90 degrees to the frame rail? Man, sorry about this...al that work just to find this at the last minute...
    Didn't put a square on it, but looks like it. I'll know for sure when I drop the plumb lines.

Good thought though
    " 的t is said that men go mad in herds, and only come to their senses slowly, and one by one.." -Charles MacKay
    "'The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.' "
    -Ronald Reagan

VOTE

Thank you from BT ULTRA TECH MASTER!!! pyagid's Avatar
    did you try taking some measurements from the spec sheet?

http://www.yagid.com/pic/Tech/yjframe.jpg

found in this post
    http://www.bulltear.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1318

I know it will be tough with everythign bolted on, but it should allow you to figure out where something is off

Also is the trac bar still in there? Is it long enough for the lift or is it pushing the front axle over. ALthough from the pics it looks like the body is off, not the axles

-Paul
    "Live as if your were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever."
    - Mahatma Gandhi

http://www.mikeysway.org/ <~~~ Friend of the family. 100% of donations are contributed. All Taxes and fees are paid for by an outside source

Thanks Paul, saves me a trip to the TSM for measurements. I haven't dropped the plumb lines yet. The day from hell continues ... it was 105 when I left Chesapeake at 1500 and now (at 1945) it's still 100* with heat index of 113*.

No trac bars are installed - 'cause they wouldn't fit

The problem that I think I found is the grill mount is not in the middle of the grill. If you look at the pic above, the frame center is marked by a white line, the grill center by the red one. The grill-to-frame mount is where the white line is, NOT the center of the grill???

To freak'n hot and tired to go work on it now. I'll wait until it rains (maybe) and cools things down. Don't mind seating in the humidity, but not basting myself in the sauna

Pat
    " 的t is said that men go mad in herds, and only come to their senses slowly, and one by one.." -Charles MacKay
    "'The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.' "
    -Ronald Reagan

VOTE

looks to me like it was hit on the front drivers side and someone at a frame shop was in a hurry, or not very good at his job.

runa VIN check to see if it has been in a shop to do any body work .

though by the looks of it some one did it on there own time and would not have reported it.

another possibility is a hard hit on the trail. but you would have rembered that.

just my opnion.

Thanks guys ... here's what I found ...
    If you look at the pic you can see the white line in the center of the frame. What "Somebody" did was - for some reason - was remove the bolt from the mount, to pull the grill or what ever. It looks like they bolted the fenders on and back to the grill before they bolted the grill to the chassis.
    They must have given up trying to bolt the grill in when they couldn't find the nut inside the grill (and yes it's still there). They DID have the mount aligned with the right side alignment hole. Problem is the bolt goes in the middle hole where the nut is
    They had 1/2 the body mount in there with no bolt So as we have been driving it, it all shifted left until it contacted the drivers shock tower since that is the only thing keeping the fenders/grill from moving
    So far I've unbolted the grill, jacked it up and replaced the upper body bushing but got stopped by rain and dinner. Tomorrow I'll put the come-along on a tree strap thru the grill and pull the whole mess over and replace the bottom bushing and install a bolt
    I'm just glad it wasn't something serious!!

Thanks again for the ideas, and it's good to know the frame is really square - well within 3/16 inch anyway =D>

Pat
    -Ronald Reagan

VOTE

Well CRAP!!!

Back to square (headlight) one

Got the grill centered (and bowed the P-fender) skewed the body lines and the freak'n hood wouldn't line up or latch.

So I re-offcentered the grill, pulled the body back straight and I'm looking for a frame shop. Got too much invested to just trash this project because of a bent frame If it's not salvageable - gunna be a bunch of new and/or reconditioned YJ stuff hitting the market.
    -Ronald Reagan

VOTE

Well got this beotch back from the frame shop after exchanging $360.

BUT it drives MUCH better and the steering wheel is a bit straighter So it's now down at the inspection station =D>

Pat
    -Ronald Reagan

VOTE

Glad to hear you got it fixed. How bad was it bent?

$360 doesnt sound too bad to straighten a frame. But I have never had to have any frame work done. So I dont know if thats a good price or not. But I would have thought it would have been more than that.
    79 Cherokee, 401, T-18/D-20 hydroboost, otherwise stock.
    Soon to come: Caddy 500,NV4500, NP205, high pinion D-60 front, D-70 rear, SOA, 5.13 gears and 35X12.50's on re centered H1 beadlock wheels

Quote Originally Posted by JeepsAndGuns
    Glad to hear you got it fixed. How bad was it bent?
    It was out 1.3 inches to the P-side. After correcting the frame, front end was out less than an RCH for castor/camber but I took it to another shop for an alignment and inspection.
    Then I get a call from them that they can't find the lug-nut locks. OH CRAP Where IS the key to the locking lug-nuts ?? After 15 min of panick I find it in my truck When I get there with the key, the Tech tels me the machine they have (is antique) is not big enough to handle 33's ? So hopefully they will take pity on me and that they have to turn me away from the alignment (and the no-smog hook ups) and pass this thing for state

Pat
    -Ronald Reagan

VOTE