Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
What is the ideal oil pressure for a AMC 360? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What is the ideal oil pressure for a AMC 360?

How much of a job is replacing the oil pump housing and gears in an installed AMC 360V8 ? Can it be done by just removing the oil pan on the engine and working it from below ? I've had to remove the screen on the oil pickup to clean it before on a 304 but don't remember how it was bolted on above, I guess that is where the oil pump would be.
    What about the oil filter upgrade and a relocation kit ? Beginning to sound like a job for little elves with little wrenches rather than a 275lb. fat man unless I want to jerk the engine. There's hardly enough room to access the oil filter down there much less work on the oil filter mounting.
    And to think all I wanted in the beginning was to relocate my oil filter and get better oil pressure. "For every action there's an equal........"
    And where would I get this new nickle coated oil pump ? How about an oil filter relo kit ? From this site ?
    LMK,
    Thanks,
    Drew
    "When working on my jeep, every action I take results in a larger, more complex and more expensive reaction, which will require me to take another action which result in a larger, more expensive, more complex..............."

Thank you from BT Tech Master Bulltear Forum
    what ever you do do not put the high pressure spring in the bypass

best ever 11.669 @ 112.33 mph in 1/4 mile on 33 x 10.50 slicks and 4" lift / 7.358 @ 93.03 mph in the 1/8 mile

Quote Originally Posted by fuzz401
    what ever you do do not put the high pressure spring in the bypass
    Why not ?
    "When working on my jeep, every action I take results in a larger, more complex and more expensive reaction, which will require me to take another action which result in a larger, more expensive, more complex..............."

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS tufcj's Avatar
    Actually, the only thing in the pan is the oil pickup tube. The pump itself is part of the timing cover. Changing it out is no more difficult than doing a timing chain. Drain antifreeze, remove hoses, fan, waterpump, and some of the accessory brackets, remove timing cover.

If you're just replacing the pump gears, and not the housing, all you need to do is remove the housing that the oil filter screws onto (about 7 1/4x20 bolts). The gears will just drop out. The remote filter adapter replaces this housing. Just remember to lube the new gears well so they create enough suction to prime.

Bob
    tufcj
    1969 AMX
    1967 Rambler Rogue

If you need a tool and don't buy it...
    you'll eventually pay for it...
    and not have it.
    Henry Ford

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew
    And where would I get this new nickle coated oil pump ? How about an oil filter relo kit ? From this site ?
    LMK,
    Thanks,
    Drew
    Drew, check out the Bulltear Pro-Parts thread for the cover, pump gears and more.

Pat
    If it were easy, ANYBODY could do it
    " “It is said that men go mad in herds, and only come to their senses slowly, and one by one.." -Charles MacKay
    "'The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.' "
    -Ronald Reagan

VOTE

Thanks Pat.