Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968
AMC TH400 or GM TH350
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: AMC TH400 or GM TH350

AMC TH400 or GM TH350

I am thinking of going Auto in my jeep cj-7. I was wondering what everyone's opions on running a GM th350 or AMC th400 tranny. I already have an adapter for the gm th350.
    I have heard that the 400 trans steals a lot more power from your motor than a 350. true?
    I have a healthy 401 to push it. whatcha all think???
    CalROCS Supermod SoPo#55

Powertank
    Heretic Fab
    Dave's Offroad Outlet
    Reid Racing
    Interco Tires
    Allied/ Raceline Wheels
    OPQ Propane

Thank you from BT ULTRA TECH MASTER!!! pyagid's Avatar
    IIRC the th400 uses 30 - 40hp to work. I am not sure about the TH350. They are both good trannys but the 400 is a heavier duty, and may hold up to the 401 better

-Paul
    "Live as if your were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever."
    - Mahatma Gandhi

http://www.mikeysway.org/ <~~~ Friend of the family. 100% of donations are contributed. All Taxes and fees are paid for by an outside source

Heck, if you already have an adaptor, why not run a 700R4?
    1969 Rebel 401 TH400
    1978 J10 401, QT
    1978 Wag 401 QT
    1973 Javelin AMX in pieces.

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS jeepsr4ever's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tarior

[COLOR=#000000]
    Featuring www.StarLabCNC.com[/URL] for CNC plasma machines
    1-651-433-3689 TOLL FREE 1-855-433-3689

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS
    Quote Originally Posted by jeepsr4ever
    I like this thought May have a deal on a 700R4 to put behind my 360
    What all is needed (part number or mfr) to make it work? And which x-fer case? I've been look'n for a 208 so I can part time the front hubs ...

P
    " “It is said that men go mad in herds, and only come to their senses slowly, and one by one.." -Charles MacKay
    "'The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.' "
    -Ronald Reagan

VOTE

You need a bell housing adaptor and a flexplate. Advance Adaptors (http://www.advanceadapters.com/jeep.html )has flexplates that allow you to bolt the GM torque converter right to your 360, and for like $61 plus shipping CHEAP! The adaptor is like $345 IIRC. Then all I think you need is a 700R4 out of a chevy 4X4. It seems like '86 was the last year for Chevy to have a 4X4 with manual hubs. I don't know when the first year was for the 700R4 in a 4wd. This is of course taking for granted that the trans xmember and drivelines that you already have will work. Kinda hard to tell until you get the trans in place.
    I hope this is helpful.
    1969 Rebel 401 TH400
    1978 J10 401, QT
    1978 Wag 401 QT

You need a bell housing adaptor and a flexplate. Advance Adaptors (http://www.advanceadapters.com/jeep.html )has flexplates that allow you to bolt the GM torque converter right to your 360, and for like $61 plus shipping CHEAP! The adaptor is like $345 IIRC. Then all I think you need is a 700R4 out of a chevy 4X4. It seems like '86 was the last year for Chevy to have a 4X4 with manual hubs. I don't know when the first year was for the 700R4 in a 4wd. This is of course taking for granted that the trans xmember and drivelines that you already have will work. Kinda hard to tell until you get the trans in place.
    I hope this is helpful.
    Thanks Tarior - no cross member, no drive shafts so no problem ... right I guess I should double ccheck and make sure it's a 4x4 -700R

thanks
    Pat
    " “It is said that men go mad in herds, and only come to their senses slowly, and one by one.." -Charles MacKay
    "'The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.' "
    -Ronald Reagan

VOTE

Quote Originally Posted by Mudrat
    I hope this is helpful.
    Thanks Tarior - no cross member, no drive shafts so no problem ... right I guess I should double ccheck and make sure it's a 4x4 -700R

thanks
    Pat
    Of course, if you really want to start laying out $, you could use a 2WD trans, and a divorced t-case (I don't know what kind, just have to look around) with an underdrive between them
    The Gear Vendors units are nice, but VERY expensive. I know that Spicer made, and may still make an under/overdrive unit, but I don't know the model #. A friend of mine has one laying on his shop floor, I'm trying to talk him out of it, I'll post pics if I get it.
    1969 Rebel 401 TH400
    1978 J10 401, QT
    1978 Wag 401 QT

Of course, if you really want to start laying out $, you could use a 2WD trans, and a divorced t-case (I don't know what kind, just have to look around) with an underdrive between them
    aint that much room for a divorced T-case in a CJ7
    -Ronald Reagan

VOTE

Oh, yeah, I was thinking in terms of my long bed FSJ. There's enough room under there for a trans, t-case, under/overdrive, carrier bearing, and probably a small village of pygmies.
    1969 Rebel 401 TH400
    1978 J10 401, QT
    1978 Wag 401 QT