Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2962

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2962
AMC TH400 or GM TH350 - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: AMC TH400 or GM TH350

Why not a tf727 with a d300 bolted to it?
    81 CJ8 on fullwidths with TBI 360 and some other stuff.

Texas A&M Off-Road

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS
    Quote Originally Posted by eight
    Well w/the 300 that could be me - but I don't know what HotJimmy has in mind...

BTT

Mudrat
    " “It is said that men go mad in herds, and only come to their senses slowly, and one by one.." -Charles MacKay
    "'The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.' "
    -Ronald Reagan

VOTE

Thank you from BT Master (OIIIO)
    Quote Originally Posted by eight

Im not a big fan of the T350 the T400 is a good tranny but the 727 IF done correctly is a damn good piece of aluminium for a slush box and you can put the D300 right up behind it. the 700 R4 requires a healthy build blue clutch packs and such.

A buddy of mine is in the process of putting a built 700R4 behind his mildly built 401 in a 77 cherokee tow rig with 35's, D44/D60 and 4.88 gears. the T400 works fine but the Q trac keep shelling out seals. and he figures if he is going to spend the cash on changing to a different tcase adding an OD at the same time sure would be handy
    IF washington wont quit spending money like mad men then i suggest we claim 9 deductions in 2010 and withold or taxes till the final dead line of 4/15/2011.

CJ7 AMC401 http://www.fordification.com/images/forum/bug.gif

"May God have mercy on my enemies, because I WON'T!!" -General George Patton
    Member #377

A 700r4 would be nice and I'll start looking around for one. The reason i was interested in the 400 or 350 was for saving some $$$. The 727 would also be nice, but expensive to find one not already toast and to have it built 'right'. I have a q-track th400 in another donor vehicle and gm th350's are cheap as dirt. Also I have a np205 for a 350 already. and a few th400 jeep d20's.
    Right now I am leaning towards the 400. I think it will be cheapest to do and most reliable. Really I'm not sure if I am even going to switch yet because I love my manual tranny, but this jeep is my sand, mud, street jeep and an auto would be faster
    CalROCS Supermod SoPo#55

Powertank
    Heretic Fab
    Dave's Offroad Outlet
    Reid Racing
    Interco Tires
    Allied/ Raceline Wheels
    OPQ Propane

Thank you from BT Master (OIIIO)
    727's were pretty easy to come by in 80's waggoneers, most i have nabbed werent toast and worked pretty well

where in Nor Cal are you?
    IF washington wont quit spending money like mad men then i suggest we claim 9 deductions in 2010 and withold or taxes till the final dead line of 4/15/2011.

CJ7 AMC401 http://www.fordification.com/images/forum/bug.gif

"May God have mercy on my enemies, because I WON'T!!" -General George Patton
    Member #377

I'm in the foothills, but work in the SF Bay area. I talked to a few friends who have a 727in their CJ5's and they love them, but said if it does go out the case is usually wasted. Said it happened once to him with his 401.
    As for finding one, I don't think it will be too hard. Wagoneers are pretty common in the wrecking yards out here
    CalROCS Supermod SoPo#55

Powertank
    Heretic Fab
    Dave's Offroad Outlet
    Reid Racing
    Interco Tires
    Allied/ Raceline Wheels
    OPQ Propane

Jimmy how's your project?

I picked up my 360 on Fri and started cleaning the shop for the R&R with the I-6. I'm still looking for a reliable tranny (don't think the 5-spd Tremec will hold up.

So when I was at the shop today I asked Raleigh about the TH400 he has on the floor (and has been there - at least 6-7 months) It's on consignment said he'll give the guy a call on his lowest price. There are a couple things I'm not sure of ...
    1) It's got an 8,000 stall converter - is that a bad thing
    2) It's only a 3spd
    3) Installed in a restoration for about 3 months, and ran fine when pulled.
    The owner replaced it with the OEM tranny when he sold the car on E-bay (it was a full frame off resto that Raleighs company did and the OEM tranny was part matched to the car - owner got close to $100K for the car) so I'm looking at the 'left over' tranny
    4) Oh yea ... It was built by TCI

So, I need what to make this work?
    $700
    The tranny/t-case adaptor (Novak P/N 134)
    block::belhousing ?
    An extra 12-14" in frame length

Is it even worth considering?
    " “It is said that men go mad in herds, and only come to their senses slowly, and one by one.." -Charles MacKay
    "'The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.' "
    -Ronald Reagan

VOTE

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS jeepsr4ever's Avatar
    You will need the chevy to AMC bellhousing adaptor plate and the tranny to T-case adaptor
    [COLOR=#000000]
    Featuring www.StarLabCNC.com[/URL] for CNC plasma machines
    1-651-433-3689 TOLL FREE 1-855-433-3689

I say just go ahead and get what you want - a 700R4 from TCI. Trust me, not having the overdrive blows. I had a TH400 in my last Jeep, and while it was almost bombproof in such a small vehicle, I always wanted a overdrive. If you are gonna go 3 speed auto, then just grab a 727 from a waggy - no adapters needed for your 360//dana 300 setup - that's what I am running and you have enough lift that clearance won't be a problem.
    Just my .02
    Jack
    Oh yeah, and that motor sure is purty!!

Quote Originally Posted by Lifted79CJ7
    Oh yeah, and that motor sure is purty!!
    PURTY? PURTY!! It's freaking GEORGIOUS (and paid for) - I'm not gunna run it I'm gunna FRAME it
    Yeah, I know about the overdrive thing. I'm hoping the 5-spd holds up long enough to get the $$$ to get a stout tranny with over drive ... NV3550?? I like jamming gears, but I like to drink coffee while I do, so maybe a slush box ultimately???

Pat
    -Ronald Reagan

VOTE