Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2962

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2962

I'm screwed

View Poll Results: Which Option?

Voters
3. You may not vote on this poll
  • Option 1

0 0%
  • Option 2

3 100.00%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I'm screwed

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS

I'm screwed

Well, got a lot deeper into this POS M20 axle. Trying to sort out axle shaft lengths to get replacements, I popped the cover back off to pull the pig and check the splines inside on the long side that spun.

Wanted to check wear pattern before I pulled it out to see if It needed to be reset when I put it back in ... But I found a WHOLE lot worse when I got in there other, than a bad wear pattern ...

Not a lot of toe engagement

Which probably caused this ... One side of the pinion crown - -

The other side

There were no chunks in the oil or stuck to the plug - where'd they go??

Here's the run down ...
    Option 1)

- IF I can find the missing pieces ... by tearing down the Detroit
    - new ring and pinion (4.56)
    - all new bearings and seals
    - 2 new shafts (if I can figure out the real length I need)
    - the tubes have been welded and ground in several places

Or Option 2)
    - not restore the 88 (looking like at least $6 large for that and I can by one cheaper in better shape and build it for that!! )
    - pull the axles and use the those
    - install the spring over perches (now or later?)
    - put the disc brake setup on them
    - hopefully NOT have a spun shaft (but at least I know the make and year on this one)
    - get the replacement 4.56's to go with the tires
    - still need to replace the lockers
    Put the bad axles under the waggie with the old carrier, and
    sell the other parts before dumping to a recycle yard
    and get some of the $$ back from it

Either way I'm pissed I spent a bunch of $$$ for and on this frigg'n POS already - and it hasn't even left the shop!!! Now what's the best option to get the CJ running?

Pat
    " “It is said that men go mad in herds, and only come to their senses slowly, and one by one.." -Charles MacKay
    "'The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.' "
    -Ronald Reagan

VOTE

I say go the route of Option 3, which is:

A) Ditch that 20
    B) Go to U Wrench It and for $100 grab a rear dana 60 or 14 bolt out of something. Don't grab the brake stuff - they chrage you for the drums.
    C) Cut it down, regear and disc brake it and slap it in the CJ. Refer to A.
    D) Ditch the Waggy - My boss picked up a MINT Waggy with less than 40K miles for $4500 - then he put ~$1500 in it fixing a couple underhood issues. This was having a shop do it, he could have done it for a lot cheaper himself.

Save yourself some money and more headaches and bury that 20 in the back yard. I also know that you may question the lug pattern, but if I am not mistaken (which I might be) there are kits out there to keep the 6 of 5.5....

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS jeepsr4ever's Avatar
    Jack's right....ditch the 20. Get your money for the detroit and bail on the 20. Sounds like it was a basketcase that someone shortened and made a mess out of before you got it.
    [COLOR=#000000]
    Featuring www.StarLabCNC.com[/URL] for CNC plasma machines
    1-651-433-3689 TOLL FREE 1-855-433-3689

Quote Originally Posted by Lifted79CJ7
    I say go the route of Option 3, which is:

A) Ditch that 20
    B) Go to U Wrench It and for $100 grab a rear dana 60 or 14 bolt out of something.
    Yeah, that's the popular consensus even from the wife (well except replacing the axle with something bigger )

Jack, OBTW, UWI is now Pick'n Pull - got bought out last week I guess.

Pat
    " “It is said that men go mad in herds, and only come to their senses slowly, and one by one.." -Charles MacKay
    "'The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.' "
    -Ronald Reagan

VOTE

I know where a Military 14 bolt is sitting if you want it. The only problem is that you will have to regear it( Oh and it will be a chevy 8 bolt pattern so you would have to get new rims).
    Hmmm, insert nut and turn....

http://jeepsr4ever.imgbay.com/charter.jpg

Nice paint is that crayola
    Hmmm, insert nut and turn....

http://jeepsr4ever.imgbay.com/charter.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by ROBERT11
    I know where a Military 14 bolt is sitting if you want it. The only problem is that you will have to regear it( Oh and it will be a chevy 8 bolt pattern so you would have to get new rims).
    No new rims!!! Want to keep the same on all 4 But a regear is going to happen no matter what ...

Quote Originally Posted by ROBERT11
    Nice paint is that crayola
    Yeah! Got a problem with it ???
    Actually it's some of my wifes craft paint
    -Ronald Reagan

VOTE

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS jeepsr4ever's Avatar
    Pat if your running 35" tires dont be afraid of the Ford 9"...at that angle you can run a low pinion with less damage than with smaller than 35" tires. Cheap, plentifull and 5 on 5.5!!,......or thats right your a 6 bolt now arent you?
    [COLOR=#000000]
    Featuring www.StarLabCNC.com[/URL] for CNC plasma machines
    1-651-433-3689 TOLL FREE 1-855-433-3689

Quote Originally Posted by jeepsr4ever
    Pat if your running 35" tires dont be afraid of the Ford 9"...at that angle you can run a low pinion with less damage than with smaller than 35" tires. Cheap, plentifull and 5 on 5.5!!,......or thats right your a 6 bolt now arent you?
    Yup - but I tell ya - with the problems I've found in the rear - I don't trust the front until I get into it too. Besides - they're brandy new rims
    -Ronald Reagan

VOTE

Thank you from BT Master (OIIIO)
    Ditch the 20 you're screwed. ha ha.

find a waggy, scout or cherokee D44 rear slap it in for $100 and be done

i say scout because you can get a set of shafts with 6 bolt flanges and then slap your M20 brakes onto them IIRC
    IF washington wont quit spending money like mad men then i suggest we claim 9 deductions in 2010 and withold or taxes till the final dead line of 4/15/2011.

CJ7 AMC401 http://www.fordification.com/images/forum/bug.gif

"May God have mercy on my enemies, because I WON'T!!" -General George Patton
    Member #377