Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
AMC in the movies - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: AMC in the movies

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS
    Just watched a Bond flick - the one about Zorin trying to flood the Silicon Valley - the 'Bond Girl' in this one drove an XJ.
    " “It is said that men go mad in herds, and only come to their senses slowly, and one by one.." -Charles MacKay
    "'The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.' "
    -Ronald Reagan

VOTE

Helpfull BT forum member Junior wrench of the Forum
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawk401
    James Bond-Man with the golden gun has a hornet that does a flip/jump,a flying matador coupe and many matador cop cars.the jump was performed at fairs and such by a team with a javelin in the 70's. it does a roll durring the jump and lands flat. pretty cool
    Generally speaking, the bond movies are sponsored in part by an automaker.

For example, "Diamonds are Forever" was sponsored by Ford.
    If you watch that Bond film, all the cars used in the movie production were Ford products.
    In Las Vegas, 007 drove a '71 Mach Mustang with the Ram Air Hood.
    While I do not know this for a fact, I would bet money that is was a 429 Cobra Jet and possibly a 429 Super Cobra Jet.
    Give me a big block Ford over an European Bond car anyday! WHOOHOO!

In the Bond Flick, "Live and Let Die", Chevrolet was the sponsor.
    All the vehicles used in filming wore bowties.

Now, the Bond Flick, 'Man with the Golden Gun", AMC was the sponsor.
    The car Bond stole from the AMC showroom floor was a Hornet.
    There has been some controversy whether the Hornet was plain-jane stock, a Hornet X or was the coveted 360SC (SC=Sport Couple)
    Just the thought of a Hornet 360SC gets my blood racing!!
    I know what a 360 can do in a J20 4X4 3/4 ton pickup truck, just image that powerhouse in a lightweight Hornet!
    OHH YESS!!! Bring on the Fords, Chevys and Mopars!!

Also, I wonder if Scaramanga's Matador was powered by a 360 or a 401?
    Bryan Smith
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited
    - 5.7 HEMI powered
    1982 Jeep J10
    - Progress toward road-worthiness is being made!
    1981 Jeep J20
    - Commercial flat bed - Long term Project: RUST! Long term project (RUST!)

Quote Originally Posted by The PIG Smith
    Generally speaking, the bond movies are sponsored in part by an automaker.
    Interesting - - never made that connection!!! =D>
    " “It is said that men go mad in herds, and only come to their senses slowly, and one by one.." -Charles MacKay
    "'The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.' "
    -Ronald Reagan

VOTE

Thank you from BT Junior wrench of the Forum
    "Twister" = J10

"Where's my truck?" ....

"Oh!!"
    -Ronald Reagan

VOTE

There has been some controversy whether the Hornet was plain-jane stock, a Hornet X or was the coveted 360SC (SC=Sport Couple)
    I believe 007's Hornet was a 1974, the SC/360 was a '71 option only. Also I think the SC stood for 'Stock Class' from Drag racing designations, like the SC/Rambler. It was definately a V8 car though, and the 360 was availible in the Hornet in '74. I put a 401 in my '77 Hornet/AMX and I agree with you on the Performance stand point whole heartedly!

There was a movie that had these little two foot tall creatures, Kinda like the ones from the movie 'Gremlins'. I can't remember the name though.
    Any way, they steal an AMC Gremlin (go figure!), with one steering, one on the brake pedal a another on the gas! They run this little gray haired old lady off the road. She is driving a Hot Rod 70- something Dodge Charger. Well she gets out of her wrecked car and says in a shakey,granny type voice 'I'm not gonna' take dat from no American Motors car!' I think the little critters then run her down. I loved it! The movie was called like 'Gouhlies' or something like that. Speaking of the movie 'Gremlins' though, didn't the main character kid drive an AMC too? How about the Pacer Limo called 'Mirth II' in Waynes World 2.

Helpfull BT forum member Junior wrench of the Forum
    Quote Originally Posted by rgbjavelin
    I believe 007's Hornet was a 1974, the SC/360 was a '71 option only. Also I think the SC stood for 'Stock Class' from Drag racing designations, like the SC/Rambler. It was definately a V8 car though, and the 360 was availible in the Hornet in '74.
    Yes, you are correct on all points about the SC/360.
    Thanx for educating me on car that I thought I knew something about, but I still like very much!

Here is a pic of 007 'borrowing' a Hornet

Bryan Smith
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited
    - 5.7 HEMI powered
    1982 Jeep J10
    - Progress toward road-worthiness is being made!
    1981 Jeep J20
    - Commercial flat bed - Long term Project: RUST! Long term project (RUST!)

Thank you from BT Master Mechanic

360 in a Hornet??

(Just the thought of a Hornet 360SC gets my blood racing!!
    I know what a 360 can do in a J20 4X4 3/4 ton pickup truck, just image that powerhouse in a lightweight Hornet!
    OHH YESS!!! Bring on the Fords, Chevys and Mopars!!)

I did that one in High school. A tan 2 door. Had a 360 with dual quads 727 and a shortened 9" Ford with Wide Mickys, leaf springs relocated inside the frame rails and a fuel cell in the trunk.

That car hauled a-- and had a top end of around 160mph+

I'll have to post some pics. soon.

Oh and I have a few pics of my first car a rusty 76 4dr Hornet with the same 360 but I had a 2bl carb on it then...God I miss those cars...
    If this new part can't break....what old part will??

Update ...
    Watched the movie "Stealth" lst night. They had a couple well built Jeeps at the 'secret airbase' in Alaska that got blown to crap by the EDI (the unmanned experimental stealth plane).
    -Ronald Reagan

VOTE

I just watched Nacho Libre with Jack Black and at the beginning when he rides his trike into town he rides past an early 70 Hornet and a 67-69 American. The movie is a pirated hodgie buy and the quality was bad enough that when paused I couldn't make out the year of the cars.
    Nate
    69 AMX
    70 Javelin
    78 Levi's Honcho

It takes around 1400 bolts and screws to hold a car together, but only takes one nut to scatter it all over the road.