Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Farewell, good buddy; it's time. pics from 2003

Thread: Farewell, good buddy; it's time. pics from 2003

Bulltear forum member Cook

Farewell, good buddy; it's time. pics from 2003

"TAZ" 1983 Cherokee, 219,555 miles

from DD to parts donor. It's official, took the license plates off and cancelled the insurance. Found a nice dry place in the barn for retirement....

Two of my 3 sons took their first trip home from the hospital in your back seat and all 3 had car seats strapped in there at one time. All three sons also had the chance to get behind the wheel on the road.

Through all of the miles, repairs, troubleshooting, wash & wax jobs, new tires, oil changes every 2500 miles (religiously), scavenged parts from every junkyard in the Midwest and from a 1986 Wag, upgrades, curses, new engine, tranny rebuilds every 45,000 miles, ball joints I did in the driveway on one **** cold winter day, tailgate window switch I replaced every other year, three paint jobs done in the garage, that irritating bounce from the left rear wheel ‘cause the lugs aren’t concentric with the axle centerline, window crank handles I replaced every month, air conditioning that never needed a recharge, and that sweet turn radius…………you always got me back home.

Even in old age, the crate still has great lookin' lines. For curb appeal (asthetics, looks, well-turned wheel, etc.), this FSJ has one of the best vehicle designs ever.

A journey on a creeper and a trip around the block confirmed what I already knew – it’s time.
    - Left frame rail has more patch than original steel; right frame rail is paper thin
    - Steering gearbox has more slop than a drunk
    - Rear axle has more slop than the drunk steering gearbox
    - Two trash can-sized cancer spots beneath the paint - 1 on each side beckon to be poked-thru by an inquisitive finger
    - rear brake lines are all rotten – explaining the puddle.
    - torque converter on the 727 is in need of rebuild #7.
    - two previous death sentences issued by the insurance company were commuted, no pardon is likely this time
    - what the hell is that new noise?? The stereo can’t compete.
    - need new stereo.
    - The air shocks can no longer compensate for the worn-out rear springs and extra 1100 pounds of steel patches welded on the body and frame (hey, I DID prep & paint). I guess the weight of 7 gallons of Bondo and 3 paint jobs contribute to this issue as well.
    - Windshield impact stars finally joined hands to become a full-fledged roadmap
    - need to be washed
    - The wooden deck boards that replaced the rear deck floorboard 6 years ago need to be resealed.

Well, the power seats, AC, Holley 4BBL, and busted a** stereo will work just fine in the 84 pickup that is slowly being restored..... New radiator, tires & wheels, .... and yeah - gonna keep that home-made rear bumper, too.

cheers df

83 cherokee (219k miles - retired 8 28 05)
    77 CJ7 (40k miles - former project)
    84 J-10 Pioneer (Project)
    83 Wagoneer (sold)
    JD 317 hot rod lawn tractor

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS
    Sorry for your loss 3jeepsdeep, it's hard parting with a friend of the family.
    " “It is said that men go mad in herds, and only come to their senses slowly, and one by one.." -Charles MacKay
    "'The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.' "
    -Ronald Reagan

VOTE