Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968
Performance AMC blocks - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Performance AMC blocks

Thank you from BT Gear Head
    Since chrysler bought amc, wouldn't they be the ones to ask? Maybe the service replacement block?
    In America, there is no natural, moral, or legal right, to obligate another person or persons, to your dept or desires.

I somehow don't think Der Chrysler is interested in reviving the AMC V-8. They want us to buy their POS "Magnum" 360 crate motors. Personally, I'll switch to Chevy long before I will ever run a small block Dodge.
    1969 Rebel 401 TH400
    1978 J10 401, QT
    1978 Wag 401 QT
    1973 Javelin AMX in pieces.

Thank you from BT Gear Head
    Quote Originally Posted by tarior
    I somehow don't think Der Chrysler is interested in reviving the AMC V-8. They want us to buy their POS "Magnum" 360 crate motors. Personally, I'll switch to Chevy long before I will ever run a small block Dodge.
    What I ment was to find out if they still have the molds for the 401's, or the service blocks. If they won't make them, then someone else could. Someone could also make a semi finished forged crank, then the rod journals could be ground to any engine or stroke spec.
    In America, there is no natural, moral, or legal right, to obligate another person or persons, to your dept or desires.

Sorry for ranting there, what I meant to say is that I suspect that DC would destroy that tooling rather than let someone make products that would compete with what they are trying to sell, despite the fact that most of us would opt for something other than Dodge small blocks in the absence of AMC engines
    1969 Rebel 401 TH400
    1978 J10 401, QT
    1978 Wag 401 QT
    1973 Javelin AMX in pieces.

Sorry for bringing this long dead thread back to life (no, not really), but some points to ponder.....

Tall decks and long strokes increase piston speeds (but decrease rod angularity). Something to watch out for. Haven't done the math, so this may be a non-issue, just rattling everyone's cage when it comes to "more is better" (it isn't always).

Didn't Mother Mopar release a 401 service block recently?

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS jeepsr4ever's Avatar
    No service block and only rumors of interested parties. I think the ultimate block would be a thick cylinder wall block with 4 bolt mains on at least the middle three mains and a little better oiling program with the ability to bore out to 4.375 yet you can start with a stock 304 bore.
    [COLOR=#000000]
    Featuring www.StarLabCNC.com[/URL] for CNC plasma machines
    1-651-433-3689 TOLL FREE 1-855-433-3689

Quote Originally Posted by jeepsr4ever
    No service block and only rumors of interested parties. I think the ultimate block would be a thick cylinder wall block with 4 bolt mains on at least the middle three mains and a little better oiling program with the ability to bore out to 4.375 yet you can start with a stock 304 bore.
    jeeps4ever. I agree with your statement. That type of block would be perfect in todays world. Also, with todays metallurgy, a much stronger block. One more thing I would add would be to add more material to the block to able to drill deeper into the block for the head studs to avoid distortion when clamping the head one. Todays pro-stock motors are like that. old_and_rusty