Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968
A couple of easy 360 questions - Page 2
Bulltear Ad
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: A couple of easy 360 questions

Thank you from BT Ultra tech
    OK, there you go again with the personal attacks.

I guess that proves that you just can't let go of your partiality towards your favorite brand.

Again proving the point, YOU came to the wrong place to spread your dis-information.

I can only surmise that you are doing this to give yourself a rise, and I'm not going to give you any more of that sick type of gratification.
    (but for this shot!!!)

Most of the rest of us here on this board have already been thru the off-brand machines and needed something more, something the cookie-cutter crowd didn't have. Turns out it was the AMC, a small granny-car builder, 40 or more years ahead of their time. In the late 60s, they awoke to see the rest of the world embroiled in a horsepower war, and granny-mobiles with creature comforts losing sales. So they bought up some of the competition's top powerplants and put them on the Dyno, built them every which way. Converted their dimensions into blueprints. And then took the best ideas from each of the other manufacturer's designs: Huge 1" wrist pins from the Hemi; valves, springs, retainers, large-diameter lifters, & bore-centers of the bigblock Mopar; smallblock Ford rockers, so we can bolt on 1.7 ratio rockers; 5.85" rods so we can easily turn down the 401 crank & use H-beam Carrillos made for SBC; 4.165" bore, we can use SBC 400 pistons (cheap); Delco distributor internals; SBC pushrods (+.100"); Ford "Duraspark III" CDI box; BOP (Buick Olds Pontiac) fan spacer, pushrod guideplates; an OUTSTANDING cyclinder head design of their own design, like nothing else; etc. The list goes on, but that's what I can think of off the top of my head.

So the American Motors product really did become all-American, and I defend it as such, Red White & Blue.

They also did something none of the other makers did. While the other makers would usually produce only the minimum number of assembly line units to conform to the sanctioning bodies (NASCAR, NHRA, etc) rules (500 units), AMC made their race-bred designs normal production items. So EVERY 401 station wagon (or whatever) could donate it's engine to someones racing program. In addition, AMC had a very long list of AMC numbered options that included Holley carbs, Edelbrock intakes, headers, Detroit Lockers, gears up to 4.44, cams & kits, 4-wheel disc brakes, traction bars, etc., etc.

They also hired a top-notch Italian (DeTomasso (?)) company to design a "sporty" car. The rest is now historic. If you don't already know the story, sorry,

I'm not going thru all that again, it is all over the web. My fingers are getting too short!!!
    .................................................. .................................................. .........
    '69 BigBadOrange AMX 390. Former NHRA 'Hot Rod", 9.80s @ mid 130s. Hurst/Airheart front discs brakes.
    Nostalgia ProStock.

'71 AMX 401 w/5-speed Richmond RR trans. 4 wheel disc. 500++ HP. Nostalgia TransAm.
    .................................................. .................................................. .........
    mailto: dhoelcher@Comcast.net GPS: 41.78, -86.24

Please re-read my previous posts, I think that is my first "attack" toward you, and the reason was, that I was sick of you imagining and saying that I "knocked" the AMC engine. I surmise you are getting a sick "rise" in self-esteem by telling me that I hate AMC engines as well, when I haven't said anything of the sort.

That is a great piece of AMC history, but are you ever gonna disscuss with me their oiling problems. On the American Motors forum it is somewhat of a hot topic, why don't you want to talk about it? What do you do, what does a "prepped" AMC buttom end invovle for oiling system modifications that allow it to live at 8000 RPM?

Thank you from BT ULTRA TECH MASTER!!! pyagid's Avatar
    Guys, Chill out. How is any of this helping Beyer with his original question? Please stay on topic and if you wish, start this discussion in its own topic You have both already been asked to cool it off a few days ago, we dont want to be forced to make you do it.

-Paul
    "Live as if your were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever."
    - Mahatma Gandhi

http://www.mikeysway.org/ <~~~ Friend of the family. 100% of donations are contributed. All Taxes and fees are paid for by an outside source

Thank you from BT Ultra tech
    The oiling issue is addresed in GREAT detail in a thread DEVOTED to that specific issue.
    It is only an issue at over 6500 RPM, so most people will never have any oiling issues unless their engine is not assembled correctly.
    The moderators of this board actually manufacture GREAT products for the AMC oiling system.
    I'm not going to duplicate points that have already been made in those threads addressing the issue.
    These issues have been hashed & rehashed since the late sixties and it's about the first thing most any person building an AMC V8 learns.

So, again, in answer to beyer05's question, increasing compression on an AMC V8 is as easy as bolting on early model heads (not sure what he have). The early heads (70~71) had 50cc combustion chambers, 2.025" intake and 1.68" exhaust valves, getting around 12.5~1 with flattop pistons. They went to 57.92cc chambers in late '71 early '72. The early heads are available almost weekly on Ebay. The later heads can be milled enough for most any purpose. There is an AMC head # post somewhere on this board.
    The head of the piston should be .040"~.045" from the head at TDC when using steel rods, more for aluminum. 11~1 is a good upper limit for the AMC design, so long as everything is set up properly and you get enough mix in and enough waste out. The Chevy "rules of thumb" simply don't apply to the superior AMC design.
    CALL your cam maker with your engine & drivetrain specs to get sound advice. They build these engines with the cams they sell and know more than anyone here about camshaft applications.

Sorry, pyagid, I have a hard time watching uninformed people dish out incorrect advice without correcting it. I guess it comes from my years as service manager of a multi franchised motorcycle dealership. One mistake and a rider could go down.

Last post for me in this thread.
    '69 BigBadOrange AMX 390. Former NHRA 'Hot Rod", 9.80s @ mid 130s. Hurst/Airheart front discs brakes.
    Nostalgia ProStock.

'71 AMX 401 w/5-speed Richmond RR trans. 4 wheel disc. 500++ HP. Nostalgia TransAm.
    mailto: dhoelcher@Comcast.net GPS: 41.78, -86.24

Thank you from BT ULTRA TECH MASTER!!!
    Whew, Danga!! is it safe yet?
    "A man's got to know his limitation's"

Dirty Harry.

Thank you from BT Jedi gear head
    Quote Originally Posted by SwampRat

That is a great piece of AMC history, but are you ever gonna disscuss with me their oiling problems. On the American Motors forum it is somewhat of a hot topic, why don't you want to talk about it? What do you do, what does a "prepped" AMC buttom end invovle for oiling system modifications that allow it to live at 8000 RPM?
    Swamprat a good place for you to start would be all the oiling modification threads here in the forums and archives, if you asked a question like that on the IFSJ board without stating you did a search the members would chew your butt. If after you have read all the threads and then asked for clarification of a particular issue I'm sure alot of folks would chime in to help. "Daddy aways taught me if your gonna ask a question of a man, do it nice and always have your hat in your hand". Jeff
    1979 Jeep CJ-7 401 AMC, GMC 6-71 Blower 10% overdrive, Bugcatcher with electronic fuel injection and a little N2O for fun, all self built. (this supercharger stuff is easy)

I apologize, I just wanted his opinion on what he thought needed to be done. I see some on the American Motors forum don't believe that the AMC oiling system is all that bad, and since he states that AMC drag engines can easily rev to 8000 RPM's I just wanted to hear his opinion on it.

Helpfull BT forum member Swabie
    swaprat, what kind, type ,or year AMC do you have?. I believe most of the members here actually own a American Motor Corp. vehicle. Hankrod

I don't own a AMC, are you gonna boot me off the site now?

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS jeepsr4ever's Avatar
    No you dont have to go but I want to make it clear to you guys that you need to treat each other with more respect. After reading through the threads I am telling you guys (and you know who you are)

Dont be dumb
    [COLOR=#000000]
    Featuring www.StarLabCNC.com[/URL] for CNC plasma machines
    1-651-433-3689 TOLL FREE 1-855-433-3689