Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2962
I call'em Jeep EJ's - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: I call'em Jeep EJ's

Thank you from BT Jedi gear head
    Well I gotta say that some of parts are the same in a Eagle or Jeep of that vintage, the 258 6 cyl comes to mind, radios, upolstery, and engineering as in the 2 peice vacuum disengage front axle. When I ordered my Eagle in 1984 it was from a AMC/Jeep/Eagle dealer and I could have just as well ordered a CJ or Grand Waggy or Cherokee at the same desk. I think all AMC products have some great features that were carried thru the whole model lines, and conversly some bad ideas. And I'll tell you my Eagle has been off road and I really never had a bit of problem with it as I had with all the CJ's, Waggys, small Cherokees I ever owned. BTW how come I can bolt a 401 right into my Eagle? Jeff
    1979 Jeep CJ-7 401 AMC, GMC 6-71 Blower 10% overdrive, Bugcatcher with electronic fuel injection and a little N2O for fun, all self built. (this supercharger stuff is easy)

Quote Originally Posted by Blown7
    Well I gotta say that some of parts are the same in a Eagle or Jeep of that vintage, the 258 6 cyl comes to mind, radios, upolstery, and engineering as in the 2 peice vacuum disengage front axle. When I ordered my Eagle in 1984 it was from a AMC/Jeep/Eagle dealer and I could have just as well ordered a CJ or Grand Waggy or Cherokee at the same desk. I think all AMC products have some great features that were carried thru the whole model lines, and conversly some bad ideas. And I'll tell you my Eagle has been off road and I really never had a bit of problem with it as I had with all the CJ's, Waggys, small Cherokees I ever owned. BTW how come I can bolt a 401 right into my Eagle? Jeff
    Very true. Parts are interchangable. I've said it before, lots of parent companies do this. Want an example, take Ford Motor Company. The Ford Ranger and the Mazda B4000. Same engine, tranny, transfer case, axles, frame.........minor body differences. So are they the same? Well, sounds like it to me, but wait! They have different company badges, like the Jeeps and the Eagles that were all produced by AMC.

Why can you bolt in a 401, same reason Hemis are going into TJs so easily. The parent company is using similar pieces in all of it's lines. BUT the badges are different, as are the budgets and accounts.

Let's not forget what I've said TWO (2) times already. Be proud of being an Eagle owner! Don't lust after being called a Jeep owner.

Erik

No, I am proud to drive less desirable junk.

And come to think of it Jeep did reincarnate the Eagle, they call it the Liberty.

I do have one question. Why does the owners manual for my 77 J10 say on page 2 and 38 "all Jeep products have 4 wheel drive"?

Quote Originally Posted by mick
    No, I am proud to drive less desirable junk.

And come to think of it Jeep did reincarnate the Eagle, they call it the Liberty.

I do have one question. Why does the owners manual for my 77 J10 say on page 2 and 38 "all Jeep products have 4 wheel drive"?
    Now you're poking to keep me going.

The Liberty is not a re-incarnation. First, it's a Jeep and not an Eagle. Second it has IFS, and it's not the first Jeep to have IFS. Which one was?

I don't know why your manual says that. Obviously it's not true. The DJ-5 was still in production and it was two-wheel drive.

So let's see, if poking it is, then poking it will be. So by your assertion, that since the Eagle was made by AMC as was Jeep, that your Eagle is a Jeep, then that makes a Hummer a Jeep, since AM General was the Govie side of AMC at the time of the conception of the Hummer and the initial manufacturing.

Erik

Quote Originally Posted by erik
    Why can you bolt in a 401, same reason Hemis are going into TJs so easily. The parent company is using similar pieces in all of it's lines. BUT the badges are different, as are the budgets and accounts Erik
    Well to be specific I didn't know you could bolt the only true Hemi the 392 in a TJ or are you talking about the almost Hemi 426? Surely your not talking the make believe engines that Chrysler is promoting in the new vechicles as a Hemi? When you talk Hemi and Chrysler they have the name trademarked so they can badge any engine as a "Hemi"
    But the real people in the know don't call the new engines Hemispherical chamber engines.

Jeff

Jeff
    1979 Jeep CJ-7 401 AMC, GMC 6-71 Blower 10% overdrive, Bugcatcher with electronic fuel injection and a little N2O for fun, all self built. (this supercharger stuff is easy)

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS
    Quote Originally Posted by mick

Hi, first post here so here goes.

Mick shared this was going on over at the Nest and I kind of got a chuckle out of it. One thing I guess I will share, whether or not folks think of the AMC Eagle and the AMC Jeeps related or not, is this:

Roy C. Lunn, vice-president of AMC's Jeep division created/engineered the following noteworthy vehicles: AMC Eagle, AMC Jeep Cherokee; AMC Jeep CJ7 and the AMG Humvee. The AMC Eagle was the test platform for the later Cherokee to demonstrate 4WD was feasilbe on a unit body vehicle. The first prototype Eagle (really a Hornet ca. 1974) used off the shelf Jeep parts but Mr. Lunn felt the components at that time were too crude for to use in a car based 4WD. It was about 3 years later when he had fitted in, what he called at the time, QTII. That is a viscous coupled transfer case in lieu of the QTI set up he used before.

Is the AMC Eagle an AMC Jeep? Technically, "no". However, the AMC Eagle was sold and "EPA'd"as a light truck, never a car, Jeep products of the time used a lot of AMC car parts (yes, even Pacer parts). So what was the AMC Eagle -- IMO a Hybrid between AMC 2WD passenger car with some AMC Jeep components and a few components unique to the AMC Eagle. And, admittedly by AMC execs a test bed for future Jeeps.

But wait, maybe they are Jeeps. European AMC Eagles, according to our European members were sold and registered over there as "Jeep Eagles".

There is a lot more history I could share as Mr. Lunn did send me a few years ago much of his original design and concept information for continued safe keeping as he was moving back to Europe and his wife made him get rid of it. Some really neat and interesting stuff. One plaque he sent was his 4X4 of the year award (1980) for, you guessed it, the AMC Eagle.

Thank you from BT ULTRA TECH MASTER!!!
    hey blown7 I've seen a tj here in minnesota with a viper motor and trans in it
    he who dies with the most toys wins!!!
    69' amx 390 4 speed best et 11.85 @ 116mph
    VOTEBUTTON

Quote Originally Posted by BREK
    hey blown7 I've seen a tj here in minnesota with a viper motor and trans in it
    Thats cool, actually last year I was following on ebay a CJ7 that also had a Viper engine in it and it was billed as a one of a kind, no holds or expense barred "Ultimate" CJ 7 I think the reserve on it was over 100K, never did sell. On another note was is exactly a Vipers engine designation?
    I truely don't know, all I ever see is "Viper engine installed" what is exactly a Viper engine other than it has 10 cylinders. Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by IowaEagle
    Hi, first post here so here goes.

Mick shared this was going on over at the Nest and I kind of got a chuckle out of it. One thing I guess I will share, whether or not folks think of the AMC Eagle and the AMC Jeeps related or not, is this:

Roy C. Lunn, vice-president of AMC's Jeep division created/engineered the following noteworthy vehicles: AMC Eagle, AMC Jeep Cherokee; AMC Jeep CJ7 and the AMG Humvee. The AMC Eagle was the test platform for the later Cherokee to demonstrate 4WD was feasilbe on a unit body vehicle. The first prototype Eagle (really a Hornet ca. 1974) used off the shelf Jeep parts but Mr. Lunn felt the components at that time were too crude for to use in a car based 4WD. It was about 3 years later when he had fitted in, what he called at the time, QTII. That is a viscous coupled transfer case in lieu of the QTI set up he used before.

Is the AMC Eagle an AMC Jeep? Technically, "no". However, the AMC Eagle was sold and "EPA'd"as a light truck, never a car, Jeep products of the time used a lot of AMC car parts (yes, even Pacer parts). So what was the AMC Eagle -- IMO a Hybrid between AMC 2WD passenger car with some AMC Jeep components and a few components unique to the AMC Eagle. And, admittedly by AMC execs a test bed for future Jeeps.

But wait, maybe they are Jeeps. European AMC Eagles, according to our European members were sold and registered over there as "Jeep Eagles".

There is a lot more history I could share as Mr. Lunn did send me a few years ago much of his original design and concept information for continued safe keeping as he was moving back to Europe and his wife made him get rid of it. Some really neat and interesting stuff. One plaque he sent was his 4X4 of the year award (1980) for, you guessed it, the AMC Eagle.
    Hey Iowa glad to see you made it here, I must confess I haven't been on the Eagle site in quite a while. Welcome!
    Jeff