Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968
401 crank
Bulltear Ad

Thread: 401 crank

401 crank

I am trying to locate a 401 crank in rebuildable or useable shape. The machine shop said that my current crank has too much front to back endplay on the mains. Or is it possible to repair this?

thanks
    Nothing is fool proof to a sufficiently tallented fool!

401 crank woes

Alright, This is what I know. The machine shop says that the bearing surface on the mains are too wide by 2 thousandths. However, looking at the bearings only one of them has a lip for the main thrust surfaces.

Are these guys off base here? Any comments. I am getting the crank back and I am going to reinstall it with the old bearings and check the end play and see if it is really that bad. These guys know chevy and fords but not AMC's They have been wrong once on another issue.

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS jeepsr4ever's Avatar
    2 thou!!! Take it somewhere else
    [COLOR=#000000]
    Featuring www.StarLabCNC.com[/URL] for CNC plasma machines
    1-651-433-3689 TOLL FREE 1-855-433-3689

This is the deal. The the main thrust bearing is worn on the rear side and no longer flat about 5-7 thou. It has a ridge. IF I grind the mains 10 thou and get oversize bearings does the thrust surface bearing also come oversized as well? Or is it only the crank portion that is oversized?

Update. You were right jeeps4ever. I got the Crank home after they said it was a total loss. I mic d out all the surfaces. There is a small ridge of less than a thousanth. You can almost feel where the oil chanel was. Other than that the crank is fine. I don't know what those guys were measuring

I polished up the bearing surfaces and now for a cleaning and off I go. Got get me one of those bulltear timing covers yet.

When it warms up I will be ready for 401 assembly.