Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
My 401 teardown progress - Page 5
Bulltear Ad
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: My 401 teardown progress

Thank you from BT Ultra tech

AM V8 FelPro gasket sets FS here:

AM V8 FelPro gasket sets from Summit on Ebay, $64:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Fel-P...QQcmdZViewItem

If you have your deck zeroed, you may be OK with these, they were .045" compressed, if I recall correctly.

Thank you from BT Junior wrench of the Forum
    I am a FIRM believer in honing plates (as BHJ calls them) when boring and then honing the block of any engine be it race or grocery getter.

$413 is the price I am paying for mine. It will be cast iron for the same type heads. May get an aluminum at a later date when I build the Gremlin engine with the aluminum heads. And yes an AMC plate will have to be used on an AMC block.

Ring seal is very important and not using a honing plate leaves room for distortion when the heads are torqued onto an engine. As for the hot liquid treatment when honing, that works as well but it isn't as important as using plates IMHO. The honing plates have a greater effect.

The machine shop I'm using (Grimes Auto Machine) located in the metro Atlanta area told me yesterday that they have always had the Plates. I know Atlanta is to far from Pa., but isn't Herman Lewis's shop in West Virginia?

Why did I order a honing plate you 're thinking? Well, when I started looking for a shop to do my machining, I asked several if they had one but the answer was always no. Grimes does a lot of performance machinning so I chose a shop with lots of experience in that area. We to the point of boring the block and I told them to hold off till I could get them the plate, thats when they said they had one already

Thanx for the info on clearences Swamprat

Thank you from BT Junior wrench of the Forum
    401 CJ7, I think we may be headed in the same dirrection with our engines.

I've already got the airgap intake, complete MSD ignition (dist., wires, coil, 6al box and cam gear), street demon 670cfm carb, main studs, valley oil line kit and MS will drill out the feed that MC talked about. Working on getting pistons and rings as we speak. Then it is the cam and lifters and timing chain to complete the short block. Have 291c heads that will be used after complete rebuild.

With that said, any outside opinions will be welcomed with this combo I have so far. Haven't picked out a cam as yet, any ideas?

Oh, and I remember the question of fuel pump essentric needed if a GEAR drive (timing set) is used instead of a timing chain, The answer is YES because you still need to line up the cam gear to dist gear properly.

Holeshot, I believe ya bout the cam issues, don't sweat it to bad if there is no answer to why those things happen.