Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2962

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968
360 starts, won't keep running
Bulltear Ad
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 360 starts, won't keep running

360 starts, won't keep running

Hi ya'll. Hope someone can help.

I have a jeep YJ with a swapped amc 360 (from a wagoneer?). it has edelbrock perf. intake, msd blaster coil, recently re-worked carb.

I bought it and it died on the way home. It would start and if I give it gas and hold the starter, it will run and rev until i shut the starter off. It does'nt keep running.
    I had it worked on out of state and was told fuel pump/pressure was good, spark and timing was fine, no vac leaks, but they cleaned the carb and put a choke kit on it. they got it running and It ran okay. i got it home and put the new ignition coil and ballst resistor. ran okay for a few weeks.

Yesterday, same problem as originally. it turns over and starts, but will not keep running and rpm's go to zero immediatly- no stallin or sputtering - just on with the starter and running, off as soon as i let go. any ideas or sugg's? thanks a lot.
    (ps - i've been carful no to burn out the starter!)

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS
    Sounds like maybe an electircal problem. Have you tested the wiring to the coil?

You have evidently lost power to the coil with the key in the "on" position. Check your fuses, then check for loose wiring, both under dash and under hood. A 12v test light would be real handy
    1969 Rebel 401 TH400
    1978 J10 401, QT
    1978 Wag 401 QT
    1973 Javelin AMX in pieces.

Thank you from BT Junior wrench of the Forum
    I would agree with tarior. Use a meter to check voltage at the coil with the key in run position. You may have a short somewhere that is draining off the power.
    Don
    84 CJ7
    82 Cherokee
    89 GW

seems likely to be an ignition problem as you all pointed out and i have not tested that yet. I will tonight. loose connection especially likely since it has been running fine and would'nt start since I changed the 35's for smaller stock tires to pass inspection - must have shaken something loose when it was jacked up.

the person who swapped the engine made a damn awful mess of the wiring with tap-in's and electircal tape. iv'e re-wired, soldered and 3m heat shrinked most all of the connections, but have not touched the ignition system wiring at all (other than just the coil itself).

thanks for the input and i'll keep ya posted!

Thank you from BT ULTRA TECH MASTER!!! pyagid's Avatar
    where on the CT shoreline are you? You could always give bill at www.sveperformance.com a call and pick his brain or Bob at www.oceanstateoffroad.com Both great guys with lots of knowlage

-Paul
    "Live as if your were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever."
    - Mahatma Gandhi

http://www.mikeysway.org/ <~~~ Friend of the family. 100% of donations are contributed. All Taxes and fees are paid for by an outside source

Sounds like the solenoid. A real pain is when you turn the key off start and the starter stays engaged.
    DAV Life member
    HOG life member
    nothing else needs to be said.

Ride hard, you can rest when you die!

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS jeepsr4ever's Avatar
    Was it converted from a 6 cyl? Check the purple wire leading form the ditributor to the ingition control module and see if its loosing connection
    [COLOR=#000000]
    Featuring www.StarLabCNC.com[/URL] for CNC plasma machines
    1-651-433-3689 TOLL FREE 1-855-433-3689

it was converted from a four cyl. to the 360.

what color and where would i find the ignition wire, is it the yellow going into the power dist block (from underneath) in the engine bay? this has been tapped into and supplies the switched +12V (?) to the ignition coil and starter relay from what ican see.

the purple to the dist seems to be okay, though the terminal are corrodded. i put dielectric grease after cleaning them, but it was hard to clean inside the little connectors.

thanks for the input.

there is power at the coil when in run position. it turns over just fine.
    just wont keep running

is it likely for the ignition control module to fail? - how could i tell?

thanks