Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2962
HEI Distributor
Bulltear Ad
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HEI Distributor

Bulltear forum member Swabie

HEI Distributor

I just bought a new HEI distributor from Factory Direct Race Parts on ebay $229 plus shipping.

Haven't got it yet, but wondered if anyone had any expirience with this distributor?

I'm putting it in my CJ-7 with a Howell TBI 401 for trail use.

I wanted it for 2 basic reasons. I wanted to get rid of extra components and wiring in engine compartment and also wanted hotter spark than stock electronic ditributor. I used to have a Jacobs Box, but after a few years it went bad.

I searched here, but didn't see any for sale or ways to convert regular AMC distributors to HEI setup. I have heard of this being done though.
    Any write ups someone know of for this? I need another in future also.

Are DUI distributors any better for another $100?
    Jeep CJ-7, TBI 401, Links, 42's, Atlas 4.3, one tons and 110" WB

1969 AMC SC/Rambler 401

Spare engines: 343, 390 and 401

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS jeepsr4ever's Avatar
    They are alright! They come from China and are imported by Pro-form
    [COLOR=#000000]
    Featuring www.StarLabCNC.com[/URL] for CNC plasma machines
    1-651-433-3689 TOLL FREE 1-855-433-3689

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS
    I have always wondered - can you use an MSD box with one of those?

I have purchased the same one but have not installed it yet. I you get to it before I do let me know how it goes. This will probably go into my 360 sometime this summer. I'm curious to hear what you think of it.
    PS does anybody have any comments on just dropping this thing in? Should we be installing a matched set of cam/dist gears? or by just dropping this thing in we are openning the chance for dist gear faillure?

I've been running mine for about 2 years. I love it! I hated the problems with the stock electronics. The only problems I have had with it is that thier clear caps seem to be very brittle. I have had 3 of them develop cracks on me. I swithched to the Mr gasket (cheaper) clear hei cap and have had no problems for about 6 months now.
    Also placement on my 401 was a little tricky. Barely fit between PS pump and water pump line.

Also, it is so easy to time with a clear cap, plus pretty bling and cool at night
    CalROCS Supermod SoPo#55

Powertank
    Heretic Fab
    Dave's Offroad Outlet
    Reid Racing
    Interco Tires
    Allied/ Raceline Wheels
    OPQ Propane

I just purchased a similar Mallory from Summit for $171. However, after I received it, I found out it is NOT an "HEI". It is merely a 1-wire replacement for the stock distributor/ignition mod. And it was advertised as including the drive gear. I even called to verify and it was confirmed that it does come with the drive gear. However when I received it, it did NOT have the drive gear and I have to drill out the hole in the dizzy shaft for the roll pin (not real keen on that). I called and complained about the gear and the sales person seemed happy to help until he saw that the Mallory drive gear is $53. He said he would get one sent out right away but I haven't received it. I think I am going to return the one I got and get the Proform. It is listed for $219. Sounds like people are having good luck with them.
    1978 CJ7/ Rebuilt 360/ Rebuilt T-150 and Dana 20/ 31" ProComp Mud Terrains/ All Fiberglass/ Everything sandblasted and repainted/ Nearly Done!!

Well I got it last week and installed it with no problems. Fit and finish was good. Haven't started it yet because I have some more fab work to finish.

Mine said "Made in U.S.A." on the box. Of couse, it might just be the box though? Ha Ha!

I am still kind of surprised I haven't seen anyone do a write up on converting a G.M. one though. Maybe there is more to it?

1969 AMC SC/Rambler 401

i just picked up the proform dist. frum summit.. they were listed for $209

is this the one everybody is picking up?
    http://store.summitracing.com/defaul...h.asp&x=44&y=4

i already have a matched cam and dist gear set from BULLTEAR.. i should be good to go! i am going to have this installed on my cj5 with a 360 and howell TBI.

I did my own from on my 258 I found one for GM 6 and put the gear off the amc one on it and put it in it works. I bought a new cap and the other stuff in it.

Jerry

[quote="cobra5laddict"] i just picked up the proform dist. frum summit.. they were listed for $209

is this the one everybody is picking up?
    http://store.summitracing.com/defaul...h.asp&x=44&y=4

Oh sure, they probably had free shipping too

1969 AMC SC/Rambler 401