Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

My first Engine Build - many pics - Dial up BeWare
Bulltear Ad

Thread: My first Engine Build - many pics - Dial up BeWare

My first Engine Build - many pics - Dial up BeWare

3 Years ago I pulled an engine from a donor vehicle and have been going through it since. I've learned many things, and time management most of all.

I'd like to thank 3 message boards that have been most helpful to me - and you may find this post repeated on these boards as well:
    AMCForums
    IFSJA
    and
    BullTear
    Many thanks to everyone.

So without further delay lets see some pics and some specs of the engine, shal we?

625 Demon Carbureator
    Offenhauser Dual port 360 intake
    Intake runners are smooth for un-obstructed flow
    Intake valves are polished to a mirror shine - both back side and face
    3 Angle valve job
    Combustion Chambers are highly polished to reflect heat back into the chamber
    Exhaust vavles are Stainless Steel and again mirror polished with a 3 angle valve to compliment.
    Exhaust ports are absolutely mirror finish and smooth as they can be
    Exhaust flows through a set of Doug Thorley's Tri-Y Headers into a 3" exhaust system till it gets to the Flowmaster 70 Series muffler, then it splits into dual 2.5" custom bent pipes to the outside world.
    Spark plugs are 1 step colder, running NGK GR5GP plugs, with a 0.7mm platnium tip.
    TFI heavy duty, high output ignition - at no ones surprise.

OH Camshaft - the brains:
    Engle grind 214/214 @0.050 both with 0.501" valve lift
    Dual springs with 120 seat pressure and about 240 open.
    Engle Lifters to work with the cam.

RollMaster timing chain with Nick Alfanso's anti-walk plate.

Crankshaft has been deburred of all flashing marks, and the entire assembly balanced within 2 grams (compliments of one of our local race shops )

The balancing was quite an undertaking as there was quite a bit of work done to reduce weight in the rotating assembly.

Pistons are MAHLE SBC 4.125 pistons - Flat top, hypereutetic and coated skirts - Weight is about 435 Grams (stock is what like 680 something grams?) With the combination of flat tops, head gasket of 0.027" and a 62 cc combusion chamber the aim is for a 10.5:1 Compression

Connecting rods as you can see from one of the pics have been polished along the beam and cleaned of all flashing.

Piston pins - since using the SBC pistons, we kept with AMC 0.931 pins but had to cut the length of each pin by 0.990" So less weight there too.

OH gosh what have I left out....
    OH yea - BullTear's Heavy Duty Nickle plated timing covers and matching oil gears - Many Thanks MC!

Hoping to fire up for the first time on the 28th of December - keeping fingers crossed and hopes high.

If I've forgotten anything - or you're curious about something...Ask away - My mind's running like crazy right now.

With that being said Enjoy the pics: If I cant put all the pics in here I'll send a link to the site and you can look at them as well.
    http://photobucket.com/albums/v11/MikesJeep/
    That's the high level folder, where you can see Pistons, Timing cover and some other pics about me.
    Direct to engine Pics:
    http://photobucket.com/albums/v11/Mi...ne%20Building/

And now the direct link pics:

I'll post more pics as the build goes along.

Best holiday wishes to all
    -Mike
    Out to prove that AMC is still one of the best around!

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS jeepsr4ever's Avatar
    Looking good so far Mike!!
    [COLOR=#000000]
    Featuring www.StarLabCNC.com[/URL] for CNC plasma machines
    1-651-433-3689 TOLL FREE 1-855-433-3689

Thank you from BT Tech Master Bulltear Forum
    watch the valve pockets for hitting the valves - my ross had big pockets

then my pistons come up a little farther too

best ever 11.669 @ 112.33 mph in 1/4 mile on 33 x 10.50 slicks and 4" lift / 7.358 @ 93.03 mph in the 1/8 mile

ITS finally in and running!!!

Wow the initial crank up is amazing - absolutly incredible!

I have a video of it if anyone can tell me how to host a video.

Still have some major/minor tuning left to do so we'll see how it goes, and I have yet to take it on a long road trip.

Just thought I'd post the latest updates!
    Out to prove that AMC is still one of the best around!

Thank you from BT ULTRA TECH MASTER!!! pyagid's Avatar
    you should be able to upload the video to www.putfile.com

Congrats on getting it going, that is always a great feeling

-Paul
    "Live as if your were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever."
    - Mahatma Gandhi

http://www.mikeysway.org/ <~~~ Friend of the family. 100% of donations are contributed. All Taxes and fees are paid for by an outside source