Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968
More Questions about CJ Brakes - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: More Questions about CJ Brakes

Thank you from BT Ultra tech
    Hey Guys,

OKay I switched out the Master Cylinder with another one from the parts store, bench bled it, installed it, then gravity bleed the brakes for 2 hours (continuously filling up the MC of course) and then test drove...

The brakes work!!!! I still can't lock them up (31" Tires... should I be able to lock them up?) and the pedal is still pretty spongy.. but its still 2 times better than what it was before all this..

I am thinking some more gravity bleeding will help the spongy feeling and adjusting the pads front and rear will give me more stopping power whatchya think?

And Mudrat... you totally called it on the Master Cylinder dude, the other "New/rebuilt" one was leaking like a SIV outside the seal.. so far second times the charm... we will see tomorrow.

-Dave

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS
    Here to help Dave - now make sure there isn't any brake fluid on the pads or surfaces after all your effort !!!!

Pat
    " “It is said that men go mad in herds, and only come to their senses slowly, and one by one.." -Charles MacKay
    "'The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.' "
    -Ronald Reagan

VOTE

Thank you from BT ULTRA TECH MASTER!!! pyagid's Avatar
    You do have 4 wheel drum brakes, so you may not be able to lock up your tires.
    "Live as if your were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever."
    - Mahatma Gandhi

http://www.mikeysway.org/ <~~~ Friend of the family. 100% of donations are contributed. All Taxes and fees are paid for by an outside source

Hey,

Yeah I'm not totally sure on whether or not I can lock them up, but I know the stopping power could be a bit better than it is. It stops well enough to drive safely at least. When I get home tonight I'll do a final adjustment on the drums in the front and rear and open the bleeders one last time.

I'm totally thinking that will do it for now. I checked the front shoes and they are fine, the adjusters were just stuck (needed some persuasion). When the shoes go out in the front, its probably time for a self adjust kit and new wheel cylinders up there too. God Help me (again ).

Thanks to everyone who helped me nail this, I really appreciate it!
    -Dave

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS jeepsr4ever's Avatar
    Sorry I coudlnt be mroe help dave,...crown doesnt list a bosster for that year
    [COLOR=#000000]
    Featuring www.StarLabCNC.com[/URL] for CNC plasma machines
    1-651-433-3689 TOLL FREE 1-855-433-3689

Hey MC,

Its all good, the booster on there is good. I tested in a few nights ago according to my Manual. All I had to do was put a new elbow on the vacuum tube and a new grommet on the booster and she worked like new.

The master cylinder I have on there now (second new one) is aparantly going to work. I didn't have a whole lot of time to test it out at 1 in the morning when I finished since its so damn loud. If all goes well today everything should be taken care of for now brake wise.

-Dave

I"m a little late on this. But, I had a problem like this once. On my friends CJ. He installed the front callipers on the wrong side, so the bleeder was not at the top and it was impossible to get all the air out. It took 2 months to figure that one out