Bulltear Ad

Thread: 360 into j10 that came with 258

360 into j10 that came with 258

i HAve a 360 that i am going to put into a j10 with a 258...does the 360 use the same bellhouseing that a 258 does? Will i need a new flywheel? i plan on working this engine pretty hard should i put a better radiator or just custom build one?

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS

Re: 360 into j10 that came with 258

Quote Originally Posted by crazycanuck
    i HAve a 360 that i am going to put into a j10 with a 258...does the 360 use the same bellhouseing that a 258 does?
    Will i need a new flywheel?
    i plan on working this engine pretty hard should i put a better radiator or just custom build one?
    Yes
    Yes and
    Yes!! At least a large 3 or 4 core!!! You don't need to custom one, you can buy them cheaper. A stock 3 core OEM P/N J5356049 is $223 at http://www.teamradiator.com/cgi-bin/tr/process
    Anouther link ...
    http://4wheeldrive.about.com/od/radi...ngsystemjeeps/
    " “It is said that men go mad in herds, and only come to their senses slowly, and one by one.." -Charles MacKay
    "'The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.' "
    -Ronald Reagan

VOTE

Thank you from BT Tech Master Bulltear Forum
    you'll need to move the rad support out on one side, you'll see the 2nd mount hole in the bottom of one of them, right side i think.
    parting several FSJ'S

Thank you from BT ULTRA TECH MASTER!!!
    One vital piece of info here..I did this swap and yaa it's a "bolt in " but for one detail..you need to check the tranny Length.. Mine had a T-176 and when the engine was bolted to it the heads hit the firewall.. You need the longer input shaft (T-177) as the six fits into the firewall notch and the eight doesnt.. I moved the engine /tranny mounts forward 4" and extended/cut drivelines as needed.
    "A man's got to know his limitation's"

Dirty Harry.

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS
    Quote Originally Posted by Goose
    One vital piece of info here..I did this swap and yaa it's a "bolt in " but for one detail..you need to check the tranny Length.. Mine had a T-176 and when the engine was bolted to it the heads hit the firewall.. You need the longer input shaft (T-177) as the six fits into the firewall notch and the eight doesnt.. I moved the engine /tranny mounts forward 4" and extended/cut drivelines as needed.
    ?!?!?!?!?!?!?!Forward 4"?????????????? Did u use the standard mounts in the right place? First I've heard of this one and I'm about to do it with the V-8 mounts in an '85 CJ7 frame

Pat
    " “It is said that men go mad in herds, and only come to their senses slowly, and one by one.." -Charles MacKay
    "'The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.' "
    -Ronald Reagan

VOTE

Thank you from BT ULTRA TECH MASTER!!! pyagid's Avatar
    into a J10 v8s usually do have a much longer input shaft. Same reason you cant use the v8 t18 from a FSJ directly into a CJ. The input shaft is to long. But you could use the 6cyl t-18 from a FSJ into a CJ, it is only 1" longer than stock then

You have 2 choices really, get the correct tranny, or move the tranny forward and hope you could modify the shifter properly to still work

I have only done the swaps in CJs not in FSJ's

-Paul
    "Live as if your were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever."
    - Mahatma Gandhi

http://www.mikeysway.org/ <~~~ Friend of the family. 100% of donations are contributed. All Taxes and fees are paid for by an outside source

Thank you from BT ULTRA TECH MASTER!!!
    Yep, I used the Correct Motor mounts , Pyagid is correct.. I am not sure how the CJ works out, I looked at mine and it seems like there is a lot more room for the 8.. But I know the heads hit the firewall on the j-10. I could have gotten away with three inches except for access to the rear valve cover bolt..So Investigate carefully. I left the tranny crossmember where it was, and built an extension onto it.
    "A man's got to know his limitation's"

Dirty Harry.