Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968
Milodon Oiling System Question
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Milodon Oiling System Question

Milodon Oiling System Question

My 401 is built and assembled and then I discovered this site and now I'm concerned about it living a long life. Too late for the lifter valley oiling modification but what about this:

Milodon AMC/Jeep External Oiling Systems:

These Milodon AMC/Jeep external oiling systems are designed for use in street and strip vehicles. They will increase oil system volume without modifying the oil pump or timing cover. The systems include a swivel oil pickup, an oil pump adapter, and braided stainless steel lines with matching anodized aluminum fittings.

My local SLC, UT engine machinist built a balls-to-the-walls 401 for a guy years ago. The CJ-7 it was in regularly snapped D60 axle shafts. The Jeep was sold to someone in Price, UT and the engine was put in something else and is still going VERY strong w/ legendary power. The only major oiling mods they did to the motor was install the above Milodon system.

It looks like I could install this kit at the stage I am at? What all dose this kit do for me? It is a little spendy from Summit. My engine has 39 small chamber heads, H.S. roller rockers, Edl. Performer cam and manifold, Holley #4010 750 cfm, MSD ignition, and Doug Thorley Tri-Y headers (I know that it needs more cam). It resides in a highly modified '78 FSJ Wagoneer.
    Don't Ask Me Why, I Just Do!

Thank you from BT Master Mechanic

Milodon oil system

If your motor is already assembled you could only use the single line kit. The dual line kit requires the block to be drilled and tapped along the pan rail in the front. Something I wouldn't do myself as it requires a large drill and tap (3/4" or so).

The single line kit is alittle less. Never ran one before myself. I have a built 360 with a stock oil system other than the valley line and I haven't had any problems with it...turning 6000 grand many times with the tires burning.

I would get a good cover and the single line kit probably...
    If this new part can't break....what old part will??

Thanks for the feed back. Sounds like a plan. Anyone else out there have some advice for me. Does MC make something like the Milodon kit?

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS jeepsr4ever's Avatar
    We make a dry/wet sump pickup but dont currently offer a oil pan
    [COLOR=#000000]
    Featuring www.StarLabCNC.com[/URL] for CNC plasma machines
    1-651-433-3689 TOLL FREE 1-855-433-3689

Helpfull BT forum member Swabie
    I have the Milodon dual line system with the milodon pan and I recommend it, it is very good quality. I dont think a dual line system is necessary and if you buy the system, make sure to check the plate for match up. MC has a nice tri-flow plate for use with remote filters and coolers that replaces the Milodon plate and eliminates the factory oil filter adaptor. I'am going with MCs'plate and I think it will improve oil flow and provide a cleaner setup. Good luck, Hankrod

I went with the Milodon one line system and kept my Slam Gaurd oil pan with the welded on skid plate. We had to modify the inside baffel and drill the holes but it so far so good. This engine is not a screamer so we'll keep the Milodon part for now with a new filter adapter. Keep me posted on the Bulltear part. Thanks for the info.

Well, we fired up the 401 today. It sounds mean and runs great. However, it blew out the oil filter gasket and sprayed 3.5 qts. of MC's special oil all over the Jeep and the shop. What a MESS! We thought that the oil bypass wasn't opening up so we took out the new stiffer bypass spring and put in the old one. We also honed the punger a little to make sure it wasn't sticking. We put it all back together and it blew again. This time we were ready but we still have oil everywhere. One thing to mention is that the holes on the Milodon oil line plate that sandwiches between the oil filter adapter and the oil pump do not match exactly with the oil filter adapter. You would think that for what you have give for the kit that it would. Anyway, we modified the holes with a Dremel tool and modified the gasket.

We were very carefull to install the Milodon system correctly so we would not have to take it all apart again. We have all kinds of oil presure but for some reason the oil is not getting through the bypass. Anyone have a clue what might be the problem. Thanks for the help.

Yes if the holes do not line up you might be over pressurizing teh oil pressue relief. It is pobbile the return doesnt match up with the port on the timing cover. If this is the case you will blow filters.
    [COLOR=#000000]

It looks to me that Part #533 Dry Sump Midplate would solve this problem? Seems to me like this is a replacement part for the Milodon part but the holes line up? Do the holes on AMC oil filter adapters differ? Whould this explain why the holes on Milodon's midplate don't line up with the oil filter adapter?

What advantages does Part #534 Tripple Flow Dry Sump Midplate give me? If I eliminate the oil filter adapter and go with a dual remote oil filter how is the oil presure bypass handled?

What's the chance of the oil filter adapter casting being deffective?

I dont believe the oil filter adaptor is mis cast...havent seen that yet. The tri-flow has a area for the spring and plunger so it retains the pressure bypass. The tri-flow is the better answer than the 533 or 533-n. The 533's were replacements for the Milodon pieces but still not as efficient as a tri-flow as they use a better filter and filter setup and allow for oil coolers, pre-lubers...ect.
    [COLOR=#000000]