Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968
4.0 Head on a 258
Bulltear Ad

Thread: 4.0 Head on a 258

Bulltear forum member Cook

4.0 Head on a 258

Why must a 4.0 head gasket be used for the swap of a 4.0 head onto a 258? Why do I ask? Because we did that conversion on my son's CJ, and it uses a quart of oil every 100 miles. No smoke, no leaks. I am baffled. Especially when it used no oil with the stock head. We did use a 258 head gasket. But, I cannot see why that would cause excessive oil consumption. It runs very well.
    Silver CJ

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS jeepsr4ever's Avatar
    I believe the ports for the coolant are different...maybe oil as well
    [COLOR=#000000]
    Featuring www.StarLabCNC.com[/URL] for CNC plasma machines
    1-651-433-3689 TOLL FREE 1-855-433-3689

Thank you from BT ULTRA TECH MASTER!!! pyagid's Avatar
    this is the best article i have seen on the swap, it has pictures that shows the differences.

http://monsterslayer.com/jeep/40Head/40Head.htm

Its wierd that you say it is basically just loosing the oil, with no signs of where it is going

-Paul
    "Live as if your were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever."
    - Mahatma Gandhi

http://www.mikeysway.org/ <~~~ Friend of the family. 100% of donations are contributed. All Taxes and fees are paid for by an outside source

Thank you from BT Master Mechanic
    The only difference between the 4.2 head and the 4.0 head are the water jackets as far as the swap is concerned. The swap doesnt affect oil transfer through the valve train whatsoever.
    401cid, T18a/D300 twinsticked.
    Lifted, locked, and Swampered

"Its flat here...real flat. And the locals smell like potatoes."

Bulltear forum member Cook
    Quote Originally Posted by CJim7
    The only difference between the 4.2 head and the 4.0 head are the water jackets as far as the swap is concerned. The swap doesnt affect oil transfer through the valve train whatsoever.
    Thanks. I couldn't see how it would affect anything from the oil side, either. I think it's time to quit screwing around with this thing and build a stroker!
    Silver CJ

Helpfull BT forum member Swabie
    Sorry I can't help with the oil burning problem, But this post caught my attension because I didn't know a 4L head would work on a 258. I have two CJs with 401 engines and fuel costs are killer. I've got an old 76 258 so in theory one could put a 91 4L head on it with the factory fuel injection and possibly get 180 HP with the torqe of the old 6 and boost the mpg to 19 0r 20. Anyone done this?