Bulltear Ad

Thread: 258 crank, light vs. heavy

258 crank, light vs. heavy

Ok, I want to know both the pros and cons of both of the 258's cranks. I know the older ones have a crank that has extra counter weights and the later ones dont. I hear that the older heavy ones give it better low rpm pulling power and is harder to stall the engine because of the greater rotateing mass. I also hear that the extra counterweights better offset the rotateing mass and make for a smoother and better balanced engine. But I also hear it is slightly slower to rev up than the light crank, and the light crank makes for a more faster reving and "peppy" engine.

Is there any truth to all this and anyone have and real world info for the two, or any good advice?

I currently have the later model light crank and was wondering if it would be worth it to track down one of the older heavy cranks. This is actually for a 4.0 stroker I am gonna build for my YJ. I want this engine to be a good all around preformer. I love lots of low end pulling power (torque) I love being able to hit the gas and it just pull hard, but I also want to still be able to open this thing up and hit it at higher rpms too. On the street when needing to get up to speed quick (like the highway) I can take it up to around 3-3500 rpms with 4k probably the most I will ever rev it (and that would probably not be on purpose) Any good tips?
    79 Cherokee, 401, T-18/D-20 hydroboost, otherwise stock.
    Soon to come: Caddy 500,NV4500, NP205, high pinion D-60 front, D-70 rear, SOA, 5.13 gears and 35X12.50's on re centered H1 beadlock wheels

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS
    True statement and physics will back that up.

As for which is better? It's a crap shoot, the heavier is better in rocks, but the lighter is better all 'round.
    " “It is said that men go mad in herds, and only come to their senses slowly, and one by one.." -Charles MacKay
    "'The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.' "
    -Ronald Reagan

VOTE

The jeep sees about 85-90% street (since its my dd) so there is no rock crawling going on. So I guess I will stick with the light one I already have.
    79 Cherokee, 401, T-18/D-20 hydroboost, otherwise stock.
    Soon to come: Caddy 500,NV4500, NP205, high pinion D-60 front, D-70 rear, SOA, 5.13 gears and 35X12.50's on re centered H1 beadlock wheels

Light vs Heavy Crank

AMC and DCx added counterweights as time went on -
    up to 9 last count -

I've the '81 6 counterweight crank & can feel the
    thing 'pound' when spun up.

If you're building a *right* 258 - 4.0 stroker,
    I'd find a '76 12 counterweight crank & have it
    lightened - knife edged - balanced - which will
    spin up nicely and provide excellent balance.

BMW and Mercedes Inline 6s all have full counterweighting -
    the VW guys add counterweights to their builds - must be a reason !