Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968
3/4 Ton Brakes on a YJ

Thread: 3/4 Ton Brakes on a YJ

Helpfull BT forum member Captain

3/4 Ton Brakes on a YJ

I put an 86 E350 Master Cylinder on my YJ the other day, but I don't have any brakes until the 3rd pump. I am running axles front and rear out of a 1975 J20. The Brakes are stock drums in rear and discs in the front off of the truck. I have bled them several times and put new calipers and pads on the front. I tried adjusting the rod in the booster but by the time I get brakes the front wheels don't want to turn.

Could the stock YJ Brake lines be too small, or is there a check valve somewhere that is supposed to hold pressure? This thing is deadly with a 401 and no brakes, but it sure is fun.

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS jeepsr4ever's Avatar
    Its most likely your proportioning valve that is making the sponge in the system.
    [COLOR=#000000]
    Featuring www.StarLabCNC.com[/URL] for CNC plasma machines
    1-651-433-3689 TOLL FREE 1-855-433-3689

So what kind of proportioning valve do I need and where should I get one?

Thank you from BT ULTRA TECH MASTER!!!
    if you don't mind spending a little money i'd say go to summit or jegs and get an adjustable one
    he who dies with the most toys wins!!!
    69' amx 390 4 speed best et 11.85 @ 116mph
    VOTEBUTTON

Helpfull BT forum member Swabie
    Ditto---- Adjustable proportioning valve. Easy to install-- and use. Question, what sequence are you bleeding the brakes/ Are you starting with the wheel that is farthest away??? Have you gone through the sequence more than once???? I had to go throught my system 3 times before they were completely free of any air bubbles.

I finally got brakes. I have bled the brakes at least 6 times when I got to looking at the front calipers. The breather is on the bottom. I took them off and used a C-clamp to keep the piston in place while I held it upside down and bled the brakes one last time. This cured everything. I finally have better brakes than I ever had.

Thanks for all of the help.

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS tufcj's Avatar
    The front calipers might just be swapped side/side. They usually have R and L cast into the caliper somewhere.

The rear discs on my CJ are difficult to bleed because the pinion is rotated up about 12 degrees. The calipers are rotated just enough that the bleeders aren't exactly at the top. I have to pull the mounting bolts and rotate them around a bit to bleed, otherwise they hold a little air and the pedal is soft.

Sometimes it's easy to overlook the obvious. Glad you got them working.

Bob
    tufcj
    1969 AMX
    1967 Rambler Rogue

If you need a tool and don't buy it...
    you'll eventually pay for it...
    and not have it.
    Henry Ford