Thread: 4.0

Thank you from BT Tech Master Bulltear Forum

What does it mean when U have or smell gas in the oil?

I need a clareification.

Thanks,
    RollBar
    84' CJ8-360-Project M170 Jeep
    86' CJ7-258-Mommas Jeep
    Project CJ8 to M170 Conversion<----Click

Thank you from BT ULTRA TECH MASTER!!!
    Well If It's a pretty strong smell or the level of oil is rising.. Usually it means the carb is flooding (or a bad injector on a F/I engine) Possibly a fouled plug if the engine is missing.. at any rate it is fuel getting past the rings in sufficient quantity to be a concern..
    "A man's got to know his limitation's"

Dirty Harry.

After further review & not listening to the DEALER>

O.k. here it goes.

Get your thinking cap on.

1. Compression test on all cylinders = 125lbs. Engine=170,000 miles. Has proper fuel pressure.

2. Engine runs fine w/a little hesitation then quits, let it sit for 10 min & it starts right up.

3. Replaced the throttle positioning sensor, cap, rotor, plugs (plugs were clean, NO oil), wires & the FUEL pressure regulator.

4. Took it to the dealer & he says it's between the computer & the coil, when it DIES it has no spark but let it sit & it fires up.

5. Dealer also said the plugs were oil fouled (NOT) & the distributor was bad (NOT, Dizzy is good).

6. NO codes from the computer so that's why the dealer can't tell me what it is.

7. Gas in the oil was due to cranking w/no spark.

8. Just changed the oil/filter tonight.

9. Full tank of premium gas ($$) w/sea foam cleaner in it.

HUmmmm, it's something very simple.

** I hope it ain't the computer going bad.
    86' CJ7-258-Mommas Jeep

Thank you from BT ULTRA TECH MASTER!!! pyagid's Avatar
    know anyone else with the same vehicle? swap the computer out with them real quick see if it still does it. Otherwise it looks like you could get them for about $50 from the junkyards, but that would be a $50 test that may not work.

Computer
    Jeep Grand Cherokee A 065372 $60 Eagle Auto Parts South, Inc. USA-MI(Three-Rivers) E-mail 1-800-900-8630

Engine Computer
    Jeep Grand Cherokee 4628 $55.01 Ryans Northend Auto Parts, Inc. USA-MI(Ferndale) E-mail 1-800-505-7600

Engine Computer
    Jeep Grand Cherokee TESTED OK 4.0 - GREAT LOW PRICE ! A 060312 $44.95 Marshalls Auto Parts, Inc. USA-OH(Circleville) Request_Quote 1-800-333-2104 Request_Insurance_Quote

Engine Computer
    Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0 good A1009 $44 Carz R Us USA-IL(Armington) E-mail 1-309-392-2000
    "Live as if your were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever."
    - Mahatma Gandhi

http://www.mikeysway.org/ <~~~ Friend of the family. 100% of donations are contributed. All Taxes and fees are paid for by an outside source

Thank you from BT ULTRA TECH MASTER!!!
    Ok here's what caused mine to do that.. the Hall effect sensor on the crank was getting flakey (crank timing sensor)..you could toodle around on a cool day for 15 minutes or 1 minute completely random..and very annoying, It wasnt that expensive either.. like 40 bucks.. but no codes no info just no spark.
    "A man's got to know his limitation's"

Dirty Harry.

replaced the crank positioning sensor--no effect
    Replaced the coil-had a crack- runs excellent.

I'm going back to get my $$ back from the dealer cause I was told I needed a rebuild & the plugs were oil fouled etc.

GAs in oil I think was the weak coil & lack of starting, it smoked after the change for a while but then it cleared up. I thnik the gas dried out the ring.

Thanks for all the help,
    RollBar
    86' CJ7-258-Mommas Jeep

change the coil, or it is the fuel pump, if it is the fuel pump pressure usaully
    drops to around 40 psi, had the same problem with my grand cherokee at different times.

make sure you never lose the 5V ref signal. there are two. sounds like a sensor shorting to ground when hot, thus taking out the 5V ref signal. without the ref., all hell breaks lose. injectors go full stream among other things.
    mike

bullets don't hurt, but the holes do.

VOTE BUTTON