Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2962
401 overheating advice needed
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 401 overheating advice needed

Bulltear forum member Swabie

401 overheating advice needed

I have a TBI 401 in my CJ-7. Motor has been in it for 8 years.
    Last setup that worked was a Be Cool aluminum radiator, stock flex fan that had been trimmed to fit, a mediochre shroud I made and a cheap 16" electric pusher.

Now I am using (2) 16" fans, pusher and puller because I modified engine, frame and body placement and there is no longer room for the mechanical fan.

I have been wheelin on 80-90 degree days under load at 220-230 degrees. I used to keep it under 210 with the old setup.

Should I:

A. Buy a better 16" electric puller fan and replace the cheapo? $150-250 ?

B. Cut holes in the hood and install louvered vents? $50 ?

C. Buy a 4 core copper radiator and replace the aluminum unit? $300 ? Maybe cheaper cause I could sell the aluminum rad.

D. Buy a 4 cylinder and complain about power? Ha! Ha! No Way!
    Jeep CJ-7, TBI 401, Links, 42's, Atlas 4.3, one tons and 110" WB

1969 AMC SC/Rambler 401

Spare engines: 343, 390 and 401

Why would a copper cool better?

What does you or anyone else without a engine driven fan have for a cooling setup?

1969 AMC SC/Rambler 401

First thing to do is to determine if your radiator is getting clogged up. If it is, a good flush and fill could solve your entire problem.

That being said, I'm putting a TBI 401 (bored 0.030 over) into my Cherokee. I have a 4 core copper radiator, Flow Kooler water pump, stock fan and fan clutch as well as a stock shroud. I should be just fine running that setup.

Oh, and one more thing to do is to datalog the O2 sensor while it's running. If you're running too lean, you'll run too hot. If you're running too lean, check fuel pressure and clean the injectors. Then look at tweaking your fuel tables if you are still running lean.
    1977 AMC Jeep Cherokee: 360/TH400/1339/44/44 - Beavis
    1984 AMC Jeep CJ7: 401/SM465/AtlasII/44/9" - Grimm Jeeper
    1986 Chevy K20: 5.3/4L60/NP241/10b/14b - Tow Rig
    2004 Pontiac GTO: LS1/T56/M80 - :D

Try out my gear ratio calculator (Now in metric)

Thank you from BT Junior wrench of the Forum
    I have had good luck with a Flowkooker water pump. Make sure everything else is working up to spec and try a Flowkooler pump and a high flow thermostat, about $90.
    Don
    84 CJ7
    82 Cherokee
    89 GW

Quote Originally Posted by 401ton
    Why would a copper cool better?

What does you or anyone else without a engine driven fan have for a cooling setup?
    IMHO copper disapates heat faster.. plus it is a four core, as opposed to the three core you are running. ( the alu. is a three core correct??)

easyer trail repairs.. copper can be fixed with sodder and a torch..alu. is not so easy to fix.

with that siad I agree with z-cool you should do a flush and fill.. I just assumed you already did.

and a higher flow water pump could help in a big hurry.
    alot of the big V8s run the bigger water pumps because of the high heat and low speeds of wheeling.

a synthetic oil blend could lower your friction level and reduce heat as well..

is the four core copper the only answer... No... but it was the best option you mentioned..

does your rig have a tranny cooler or ac cooler in front of the Rad???

alot of rigs arount here get mud built up between the layers of coolers and rads. andf that can cause terrible overheating troubles... so that is also something to consider..

as for set ups.. my fav for the non mech style is twin mini blowers up front and one quality puller behind.

the twin minis, can be set at the corrners or sides (depending on the size of the blowers to push the air right at the intake and exit of the rad. and the big puller will bring the flow thru the middle.. but that is just my $.02 and some may think that is too complex of a set up...

but I always did hunt rabbits with shotguns anyway.. (over kill much )

hope this helps...

I have always had a Flow Cooler pump.

I run a manual transmission too so no extra problems there.

I also have my full hydro power steering cooled by its own fan and it is back by the firewall.

Radiator isn't dirty or plugged inside either.

I did order some stainless louvered vents for it to help as I only need about 10-15 degrees to get the temp. more to my liking.

Sooooo, back to the next best place for my money:

Better puller fan or copper 4 core radiator?

I know the better puller will help, but I thought the high dollar aluminum radiators were supposed to fix cooling problems?

I have had this 2 core aluminum Be Cool radiator for 8 years cooling Jeep with mechanical fan and extra 16" pusher. Only changes in comeplete system were removal of engine driven fan changed to puller electric. Also, now I don't run inner fenders.

Here's what I know about aluminum vs. copper radiators: Copper disapates heat better, but aluminum is supposed to cool beter because they can't make copper as thin as aluminum for a dependable radiator application. That and stock cars used aliminum radiators to keep them cool. I have heard that aluminum may need more air flow than a standard copper radiator though.

Any more opinions?

1969 AMC SC/Rambler 401

Also. I did change oil last night to full synthetic. I used to run synthetic blend.

1969 AMC SC/Rambler 401

try your new puller fan idea prior to the new rad and see what you think.

you are aimed in the correct direction.

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS
    puller fan 1st. if no difference then go with the new radiator. but
    if you are too lean then you will still run hot.check the air fuel mix
    83 eagle (r.i.p.)
    85 gl1200 gold wing LTD pilot
    1999 gl1500C valkyrie(plain gold wing)
    1994 jeep grand cherokee limited pilot
    McDonnell Douglas c-17 mechanic
    corrupting people since 1962