Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968
Trying to find reason for miss
Bulltear Ad

Thread: Trying to find reason for miss

Helpfull BT forum member Junior wrench of the Forum

Trying to find reason for miss

The War Wagon had a miss so I started checking it out. I pulled the plug wires one at a time and found that three cylinders were dead, made no difference in RPM's at all when the wire was pulled or all three at the same time for that matter. I pulled the plugs and checked to see if they were firing by laying them on the engine and turning over the engine and they were. Pulled valve cover and found the valves working OK. Did a compression test and found all cylinders down in the 60 to 70 PSI range, use to be 125 to 130 PSI before. I put some oil into the cylinders and the pressure only went up 10 PSI per cylinder. Hard to believe that all the valves are bad at once but who knows. The engine will start right up and smooths out when warm. The engine will hold 17" of steady vacuum at warm idle. Now where do I look next?

Thanks for any input,
    Jim
    78 Wagoneer-- The War Wagon 6" BJ's lift 33X9.5X15 BFG KO'S, Edelbrock performer carb & Intake, TFI,sway bar disconnects,Aussie Locker, Cliffhanger rear bumper

The War Buggy - 360 W/GM TBI, comp cam, Edelbrock Performer,T18A, Klune, 205 twin stick, D60/14 bolt - 5:13 -Lincon locked, 42 TSL's, full Hydro steering, Tri 4 link rear W/ coil overs + more.

The Compost Heep - 82 Wagonneer, Camo Paint Job

Thank you from BT ULTRA TECH MASTER!!!
    try doing a cylinder leakage test. that will tell you for sure if it's in the heads or the rings.
    he who dies with the most toys wins!!!
    69' amx 390 4 speed best et 11.85 @ 116mph
    VOTEBUTTON

Did a leak down test and have air out the exhaust, burn't exhaust valves I guess. I have heard of carbon build up holding the valves open.

Jim
    78 Wagoneer-- The War Wagon 6" BJ's lift 33X9.5X15 BFG KO'S, Edelbrock performer carb & Intake, TFI,sway bar disconnects,Aussie Locker, Cliffhanger rear bumper

The War Buggy - 360 W/GM TBI, comp cam, Edelbrock Performer,T18A, Klune, 205 twin stick, D60/14 bolt - 5:13 -Lincon locked, 42 TSL's, full Hydro steering, Tri 4 link rear W/ coil overs + more.

Thank you from BT Ultra tech

engine miss

Hello.

Is this a new or fresh engine?

Did it run good ever?

What about lifters holding the valves open? (loosen the rockers in question, recheck the leakage)

Did it happen after an unusually high RPM blast?

Also, did it happen after a new mod or somebody tweaking on something?
    .................................................. .................................................. .........
    '69 BigBadOrange AMX 390. Former NHRA 'Hot Rod", 9.80s @ mid 130s. Hurst/Airheart front discs brakes.
    Nostalgia ProStock.

'71 AMX 401 w/5-speed Richmond RR trans. 4 wheel disc. 500++ HP. Nostalgia TransAm.
    .................................................. .................................................. .........
    mailto: dhoelcher@Comcast.net GPS: 41.78, -86.24

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS jeepsr4ever's Avatar
    sounds like a burnt exhaust valve
    [COLOR=#000000]
    Featuring www.StarLabCNC.com[/URL] for CNC plasma machines
    1-651-433-3689 TOLL FREE 1-855-433-3689

We had 130 PSI about a year ago, engine has almost 200,000 miles on it.
    Zack was pretty hard on it at the ECI as you can see in the blown up TC
    pictures. http://www.bulltear.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=5358
    We replaced the plugs and picked up one cylinder. We pulled the valve cover and checked the valves, springs, and rockers, everthing looked good.