Bulltear Ad

Thread: "DIFFERENT KIND OF HEADERS"

Helpfull BT forum member Junior wrench of the Forum

"DIFFERENT KIND OF HEADERS"

I was thinking a bit about my 401 build and had an interesting idea. What if you take fenderwell headers, cut them off where they cross over the frame, and add new tubes that exit just below the body line under the stamped "jeep" logo???? They would exit like this: OOOO on each side say about an inch or so below the bottom of the tub...... have them ceramic coated so they dont get too hot...

Any thoughts on this? Am I pissing up a rope or would this be kinda cool?

Thanks
    Dave

Thank you from BT ULTRA TECH MASTER!!!
    cool yes , but loud
    he who dies with the most toys wins!!!
    69' amx 390 4 speed best et 11.85 @ 116mph
    VOTEBUTTON

i think you would loose some scavaging effects of the collector, but if you used your jeep to drag (mud or strip) i don't think it will have as much adverse effect as if you were trail riding, rocks, or street. i don't think cops will like it one bit.

but anyway, do it just to be different. i just ain't gonna pay the ticket.
    mike

bullets don't hurt, but the holes do.

VOTE BUTTON

Has anyone ever heard of "press in baffles" ?

I have seen them on a Baja VW Bug and on Rail buggies but they seem to be of a larger diameter than 1 3/4 header pipe. Any suggetioons on how I can take the edge off the noise level? My current local law states that I must have a functioning mufler installed.....no noise specification or volume limit....so if I can just take a little of the noise away, I should be fine. I have driven my 258 with open headers for over a year with no problems. One cop did say that all things are relavent.....meaning that as long as I was driving normally, they probably wouldnt pull me over just for the noise but I was walking a thin line if I ever got a little excited and revved it up more than normal.

What I am thinking is having them come out the side and maybe turn down at say a 45* angle to try to reduce cockpit noise, but a little more would be good for other drivers beside me

Thanks for your help

Dave

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS tufcj's Avatar
    One thing you have to watch if you ever go to a national forest (maybe even state parks) is that most require a spark arrestor if there isn't some pipe behind a muffler. I've seen lots of dirt bikes get tickets for that in Colorado (issued by USFS officers).

I ran 3 1/2 inch straight pipes (just pipe, no baffles) behind fenderwell headers, dumped just in front of the rear wheels. I took it for a 1 hour interstate ride (each way) ONCE, and my ears rang for 2 days. I went back to turbo mufflers.

8 individual outlet headers would bee too loud for the comfort of most people. I doubt you could even keep it quiet enough not to alert local law enforcement.

Bob
    tufcj
    1969 AMX
    1967 Rambler Rogue

If you need a tool and don't buy it...
    you'll eventually pay for it...
    and not have it.
    Henry Ford

I am now kindof leaning to the too loud side of this debate. The good news is that I plan on buying "el cheapo" fenderwells to cut & fab & see how it sounds.....If I like it enough after a month or two of DD then I'll invest the coins in a better setup with similar configuration.

Anyone got a cheap set of fenderwell headers for an 83 cj7?

Thanks
    Dave