Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968
Justice....Montana style!

Thread: Justice....Montana style!

Thank you from BT Master Mechanic

Justice....Montana style!

Judge orders public shaming for deceit
    By TRISTAN SCOTT of the Missoulian

A federal judge in Missoula doled out a peculiar, almost Draconian punishment Thursday - a public shaming.

Chief U.S. District Judge Don Molloy ordered a man who lied about his military career to march outside the Missoula County Courthouse wearing a sandwich board that says, “I am a liar. I am not a Marine.”

William Cody Horvath, 36, of Whitefish, pleaded guilty to making false statements earlier this year, admitting that in August 2001, he lied to his probation officer about having served in the U.S. Marine Corps in hopes of earning compassion.

The officer was gathering information on a prior charge against Horvath for being a fugitive in possession of firearms or ammunition. Hoping to temper the consequences of those charges, Horvath said he had been wounded in combat, and showed the probation officer photographs of himself in full military dress.

However, representatives from the U.S. Marine Corps said there was no record of Horvath's military service, and said the uniform and its decorations were worn improperly in the man's photographs.

Molloy, who is himself a veteran, sentenced Horvath to four years of probation, four months of house arrest with electronic monitoring and required the man to perform 50 hours of community service by marching or walking in front of the courthouse, during regular business hours, wearing a sandwich board with “large letters.”

Like a modern-day scarlet letter, the front of the board will read: “I am a liar. I am not a Marine.” On the back: “I have never served my country. I have dishonored veterans of all wars.”

Horvath's attorney, Dan Wilson of Kalispell, said Friday he could not comment on the sentence without his client's approval. Horvath could not be reached for comment.

Judge Molloy and U.S. Assistant Attorney General Josh Van de Wetering also said they could not comment on the sentence.

Molloy also ordered Horvath to write letters of apology to several Montana newspapers, the U.S. Marine Corps, Veterans of Foreign Wars and the American Legion in Kalispell. The judge said Horvath must admit in the letters that he lied repeatedly about serving and being wounded.

God bless America, the USMC, and the Montana Judicial System =D>

Personally however, i would have drug him out back of the courthouse and shot him in both kneecaps with an M1 carbine.
    401cid, T18a/D300 twinsticked.
    Lifted, locked, and Swampered

"Its flat here...real flat. And the locals smell like potatoes."

Thank you from BT ULTRA TECH MASTER!!!
    he got what he deserved
    he who dies with the most toys wins!!!
    69' amx 390 4 speed best et 11.85 @ 116mph
    VOTEBUTTON

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS jeepsr4ever's Avatar
    HA
    [COLOR=#000000]
    Featuring www.StarLabCNC.com[/URL] for CNC plasma machines
    1-651-433-3689 TOLL FREE 1-855-433-3689

Let the punishment fit the crime!
    1969 Rebel 401 TH400
    1978 J10 401, QT
    1978 Wag 401 QT
    1973 Javelin AMX in pieces.

I drove up there today to see if the idiot was out in front of the courthouse doing his civic repentance. No sign of him as of yet.

The thing is, in ultra-Liberal Missoula MT, it probably wont make a damn bit of difference.......He'll probably be praised by the anti-military peace-niks as some sort of revolutionary hero who slandered the USMC and got away with a slap on the wrist.

Me and my digital camera will have fun with this one.

Thank you from BT ULTRA TECH MASTER!!!
    post some of the pics if and or when you get them
    he who dies with the most toys wins!!!
    69' amx 390 4 speed best et 11.85 @ 116mph
    VOTEBUTTON

that's great. pics are a must.
    mike

bullets don't hurt, but the holes do.

VOTE BUTTON

Quote Originally Posted by runnamuck
    that's great. pics are a must.
    yer damn tootin.
    If i have my way, without breaking any privacy laws, this doorknob will be all over everybodys computer by the end of this month.

I have made this my personall mission. For God and Country, I will not fail Sir

Good stuff! I think he needed a little more punishment. Maybe get slapped around by a few vets. But I'm happy with what he got regardless.
    Nate
    69 AMX
    70 Javelin
    78 Levi's Honcho

It takes around 1400 bolts and screws to hold a car together, but only takes one nut to scatter it all over the road.