Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
401 exhuast options
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 401 exhuast options

401 exhuast options

I should be ready to have the exhaust fabbed up end of this week. I need some options of routing and exist. It will have inframe headers. I have read of doing the y pipe, but do not thing this is an option with these headers. They are fairly long and point to the rear at the collector. Pics would be wonderful. What have you all done. Almost forgot. It is going in a CJ7 with TF727 tranny.

Bulltear forum member Swabie
    I think you should re-think long tube in frame headers for a CJ.

I run exhaust manifolds for wheelin. Good low end torque, they fit good, no leaks, dual exhaust is easily routable and they don't rust out.

If I was to run headers for my wheeler, I would buy the Edelbrock shorty block hugger headers so routing was more accessable.
    Jeep CJ-7, TBI 401, Links, 42's, Atlas 4.3, one tons and 110" WB

1969 AMC SC/Rambler 401

Spare engines: 343, 390 and 401

I have not completely decided that I am using these headers. I just have always wanted something with headers and I got these at a steal. If I can make the exhaust route ok then they will stay, if not, they are history because this is a serious crawler that drags on stuff.

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS tufcj's Avatar
    If you 'wheel, you should do something like I have. Stock manifolds, 2.25" pipe out of the manifolds. The passenger side loops forward and crosses under the front of the oil pan, it turns back, and joins with the drivers side. Where they meet, it goes to 3". 3" high flow cat (smog rules), 3" magnaflow welded muffler. The only place the exhaust is lower that the frame rail is where is dumps behind the driver rear wheel.

I've never caught it on anything, and it doesn't leak. I can't tell a difference in torque or HP from when I was running headers and duals. Bonus is I can talk to my passengers without yelling (guess I'm getting old ).

Bob
    tufcj
    1969 AMX
    1967 Rambler Rogue

If you need a tool and don't buy it...
    you'll eventually pay for it...
    and not have it.
    Henry Ford

How about some good pics of that set up, I will need to take them to the exhaust shop with me.

Bob
    tufcj
    1969 AMX
    1967 Rambler Rogue

and not have it.
    Henry Ford

Ok heres the latest. Upon having the motor in the Cj and test fitting the headers, its not going to work out for me. With the t case clocked the outlet is sitting on the front drive shaft. I have picked up some manifolds and it will be going to the exhaust shop next week. Still havnt decide if I will be running single or duals yet though.

headers

you run in frame headers you are going to have a problem if you have to work on the starter. can't get to the starter for the header. i run stock manifolds have the muffler shop run duels all the way to the back of the transfercase then put your mufflers on.

Thank you from BT Master Mechanic
    I ran duals straight back with the stock manifolds (like Wizzard) and it works great. Everything is tucked up above the framerails nicely.

Bob, im curious after seeing the pic of the crossover. With it virtually wrapped around your oilpan, do you experience any hotter then normal running temperatures? looks like an oil-boiler you got there. Or does the pic just make it look closer then it is.
    401cid, T18a/D300 twinsticked.
    Lifted, locked, and Swampered

"Its flat here...real flat. And the locals smell like potatoes."

Actually, the pics make it look closer than it is. I haven't experienced any loss of oil pressure due to heat that I'm aware of. My engine runs about 20-25 PSI at hot idle, and 55-60 PSI runninf down the road (hot). It does get good airflow. I've never really worried about it.

Just the extra ground clearance from no Y-pipe inder the driveshaft and trans, and not having to worry about crushing anything is worth it.

Bob
    tufcj
    1969 AMX
    1967 Rambler Rogue

and not have it.
    Henry Ford