Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2962
Enough beef for 401? - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Enough beef for 401?

Quote Originally Posted by 1980_Cj7
    Good luck. These 401's make a LOT of torque! Here's what ours did to a full float Dana 60 rear axle the day after we got the 401 in. [/img]
    Alright now you have to back this up with a story!!! How the heck did this happen?

Thank you from BT Master (OIIIO)
    thats only a 30 spline stock shaft from a 60 comon man more details.
    IF washington wont quit spending money like mad men then i suggest we claim 9 deductions in 2010 and withold or taxes till the final dead line of 4/15/2011.

CJ7 AMC401 http://www.fordification.com/images/forum/bug.gif

"May God have mercy on my enemies, because I WON'T!!" -General George Patton
    Member #377

True, just a stock Ford 30 spline, not alloy or anything, but full float which means it isn't taking any weight, just turning the wheel. It was done doing burnouts. The axle has a Detroit in it too. Sticky 38.5x14.5x16.5 TSL's.

Aftermarket alloy shafts are the next mod.

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS tufcj's Avatar
    The 60 sitting in my garage is a 35 spline semi floater. 1.5" axle shafts and a 5 on 5.5" pattern, so I don't have to go 8 lug. Should be plenty for my 37s.

Bob
    tufcj
    1969 AMX
    1967 Rambler Rogue

If you need a tool and don't buy it...
    you'll eventually pay for it...
    and not have it.
    Henry Ford

Upgraded my rear as well to semi float Dana 60 HD with 35 spline Moser alloy shafts with 4.10's & Detroit 5 on 5.5 as well.

I'd rather stay full float, and don't want to hog out the spindles to fit 35 spline axle shafts. Seems like it would substantially weaken the spindles. So, the only option is aftermarket alloy shafts.

Thank you from BT Ultra tech

WOW

I can't believe you broke the 30 spline Dana 60 axle. I am building a CJ 7 with a full float and stock 35 spline axles. I was going to keep the stock axles rather than spend the $$$ for alloys. I am also running a 401 with 37's.
    SPEED COSTS MONEY: HOW FAST DO YOU WANT TO GO?

Re: WOW

Quote Originally Posted by JERSEYJOE
    I can't believe you broke the 30 spline Dana 60 axle. I am building a CJ 7 with a full float and stock 35 spline axles. I was going to keep the stock axles rather than spend the $$$ for alloys. I am also running a 401 with 37's.
    Well we did. I just noticed a typo in the pic link on the previous page and corrected it. Maybe the pic wasn't showing up until now, but there's the proof.

Where are you guys finding 35 spline rear Dana 60's? Or, are you having them built. My understanding is 35 spline rear 60's were scarce to non-existent. Or are they all semi-float?

Was just reading on POR that the Dana 70 spindle, which takes a 35 spline axle, is the same outer diameter as the Dana 60 spindle, so maybe boring it out isn't the problem I thought it might be. But then of course we'd have to change the Detroit too, unless we could just swap out the side gears.

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS tufcj's Avatar
    My 35 spline 60 is semi-floating. Came from a late 73 or 74 J4000 Jeep truck. They had 5 on 5.5" lug patterns just like a CJ.

The 35 spline full floaters are out there, but were primarily on 1 ton duallies, so they're REALLY wide.

Bob
    tufcj
    1969 AMX
    1967 Rambler Rogue

If you need a tool and don't buy it...
    you'll eventually pay for it...
    and not have it.
    Henry Ford

Thank you from BT Ultra tech

Dana 60

Mine is a Dana 60 HD. Bought it on ebay. It's basically a Dana 60 center section with extra ribbing and the outer spindles and hubs from a Dana 70. It came with a WMS of 63 inches and I am running it as is. I had to machine the centers out of the H2 wheels to fit over the hubs. When I went for the rear disc kit it was a fiasco since off the shelf brackes did not work. Thanks to the guys at Street Rod Engineering for making the one off barckets to run rear discs.
    SPEED COSTS MONEY: HOW FAST DO YOU WANT TO GO?