Bulltear Ad

Thread: finally running(kinda)

finally running(kinda)

Well after a faulty fuel pump was found at first try to fire, one fried ignition coil, and one burnt up transmission cable, the 401 finally powered the Cj down the road yesterday. BUT with a few problems.

First....... there is a higher rpm break down and miss, 3,000+. I am suspecting it may be because the plugs are gapped to .44 for the HEI ignition but we had to fall back on the stock ignition until the other HEI came in.

Secondly......Low voltage output is another problem. The volt gauge is only reading about 11 with jeep running. I did do the taurus fan install in the process but I dont know if that would draw that much excess. With the old 258 charging was not an issue.

Lastly...... The engine is struggling to turn over and start. I know the above voltage issue would cause this, but it does the same thing when on the charger in start mode.

How about some ideas to pick at?

check your ground cable, If your old trans cable had the insulation burnt off it could have been acting as your engine ground. If this was the case it could fix some of your other problems.