Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968
flywheel off the 304 on the 360??
Bulltear Ad

Thread: flywheel off the 304 on the 360??

Helpfull BT forum member Swabie

flywheel off the 304 on the 360??

I am going from a {stick} 304 to a stick 360 can I use the same flywheel off the 304 on the 360?? Thanks for the help...

AMC engines are externally balanced, so each engine size flywheel is specific to that engine size. That said, I got an incorrect flywheel, exact type unknown, and the machine shop was able to mill enough material off it to balance it to my 360 when I had the rotating assembly balanced. That may have been the best $100 I ever spent.

Good luck, and have fun!
    Al
    '87 Wrangler, AX-15 trans, 4.11 gears, small lift, AMC360 mildly built up

Helpfull BT forum member Swabie
    Thanks for the info, that helps me out a lot,

So does that mean that each fly wheel is made specifically for each engine?

The reason I ask is, my friend just bought a CJ with a 304 but it came with an auto, and he wants to swap it to a standard, so he wants the flywheel off my 304, so then I am short a flywheel for my 360.

Should I just buy a flywheel from here? Or should I just get him to buy his here and get my 304 wheel machined?

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS tufcj's Avatar
    Flywheels are not specifically balanced for each engine, but for each displacement. 360 flywheels can be swapped between 360s, but can't be used on a 304 or 401. Same goes for the harmonic balancers. The factory didn't "balance" engines like a machine shop would. They just generalized within certain tolerances.

If your 360 originally had an automatic flexplate, take that and the flywheel to a machine shop and have them "match balance" the flywheel to the original flexplate. It will be close enough.

Bob
    tufcj
    1969 AMX
    1967 Rambler Rogue

If you need a tool and don't buy it...
    you'll eventually pay for it...
    and not have it.
    Henry Ford

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS jeepsr4ever's Avatar
    Theoretically no but their are many that use a 360 flywheel on a 304. In a lower than 5500rpm motor you wont have much for vibration. The 304 and 360 share the same crankshaft and mfg's have discontinued the 304 flywheel because it was so close in weight balance to a 360.
    [COLOR=#000000]
    Featuring www.StarLabCNC.com[/URL] for CNC plasma machines
    1-651-433-3689 TOLL FREE 1-855-433-3689

unfortunately I don't have the auto flexplate,

so what you are telling me, cuz I am wheeling this engine, and not trying to take a vette in the quarter mile, I should be ok to use the flywheel off my 304?

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS jeepsr4ever's Avatar
    Yes
    [COLOR=#000000]
    Featuring www.StarLabCNC.com[/URL] for CNC plasma machines
    1-651-433-3689 TOLL FREE 1-855-433-3689

Thats great! Sorry, but I will buy the timing cover and oil pump stuff still.

Thank you from BT Master (OIIIO)
    Like others said you won't get too bad of vibes in the lower rpm range but over time those little vibes will start to take it's toll on other various parts... and once the engine etc gets these vibes it's only a matter of time before it starts to get worse... The bearings will wear faster etc etc... Honestly it's best to do it the right way the first time, this way it'll last you longer and eventually be cheaper or easier on the pockets/bank... I had my 360 balanced... pistons/rods and then the flywheel etc etc... Smooth, Efficient.. (Well as efficient as a 400+ hp 360 can be... while trying to run it off of premium pump gas... She doesn't like the pump-gas too-well .. 104 octane she loves!)
    I'm not sure but If I remember correctly, you can use a 258 flywheel for a 304, you just need to get your rotating assembly balanced... (Like I said I'm not sure).