Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
COLLAPSED PISTON - Page 24
Bulltear Ad
Page 24 of 26 FirstFirst ... 142223242526 LastLast

Thread: COLLAPSED PISTON

Quote Originally Posted by jeepsr4ever
    Sure seems like they were in a hurry when they were rebuilding your 401
    I don't know how much actual time they spent on the engine, but the sad part is it took them forever to get it done. Caused us to miss the big PA Jeeps Show which is one of the highlights of our Summers for one thing.

Depends on how they treat us from here as to how much "publicity" we'll give them.

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS
    Show'm this thread and then play "Let's make a deal"
    " “It is said that men go mad in herds, and only come to their senses slowly, and one by one.." -Charles MacKay
    "'The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.' "
    -Ronald Reagan

VOTE

Just for kicks, I ran the CR calculator again using .040 over KB354 pistons with the Clevite cam we have. I adjusted the intake closing to the actual of 72 degrees ABC. Doesn't look too bad if I've done everything correctly. What do you think?

Again, our desire is to get as much power as we can out of pump gas.

ENTER YOUR DATA CALCULATED DATA
    Cylinder Head Volume (cc) 58
    Cylinder Head Vol (cubic in.) 03.538
    Piston Head Volume (cc) 28
    Piston Head Vol (cubic in.) 01.708
    Gasket Thickness (in.) .045
    Swept Volume (cubic in.) 51.106
    Gasket Bore (in.) 4.275
    T.D.C. Volume (cubic in.) 05.892
    Cylinder Bore Diameter (in.) 4.205
    Gasket Volume (cubic in.) 00.646
    Deck Clearance (in.) 0
    Note: Neg. number above deck, Pos. number below deck
    Deck Volume(cubic in.) 00.000
    Stroke (in.) 3.68
    STATIC COMPRESSION RATIO 09.674

OPTIONAL DATA
    Rod Length (in.) 5.858 Adjusted Stroke (in.) 02.676
    Intake Closing Point (degrees) 72
    (actual calculated from advertised duration of 294 degrees)
    DYNAMIC EFFECTIVE COMPRESSION RATIO 07.308

Now, the big question is how far off was the cam when it was installed incorrectly, and how much of our problems was it causing. Maybe we should put a degree wheel on it with it installed the way it was and see what was happening, then degree it again installed correctly and see what that gives.

Thank you from BT Jedi gear head
    Now, the big question is how far off was the cam when it was installed incorrectly, and how much of our problems was it causing. Maybe we should put a degree wheel on it with it installed the way it was and see what was happening, then degree it again installed correctly and see what that gives.
    At this point I would worry about just getting the engine built correctly this time or you won't make next years PA Jeep shows. Time enough ahead to degree the cam properly.

Jeff
    1979 Jeep CJ-7 401 AMC, GMC 6-71 Blower 10% overdrive, Bugcatcher with electronic fuel injection and a little N2O for fun, all self built. (this supercharger stuff is easy)

Jeff, I hear you. What I was getting at is we're trying to decide whether to use the same cam next time around or get a different one. We're trying to figure out if the problems were from the cam grind we had, or from it being installed incorrectly.

Thank you from BT Tech Master Bulltear Forum
    from it being installed incorrectly

best ever 11.669 @ 112.33 mph in 1/4 mile on 33 x 10.50 slicks and 4" lift / 7.358 @ 93.03 mph in the 1/8 mile

Thank you from BT ULTRA TECH MASTER!!!
    I agree, the problem from having the cam out of whck like that.. (frankly I am amazed it ran..)
    "A man's got to know his limitation's"

Dirty Harry.

Was just reading about the cam anti-walk kit in the sticky post on distributor gears. Would it be a good idea to install one on our re-rebuild? We have a hydraulic cam that has about 300 miles on it. Will it hurt to install the anti-walk kit on a used cam? I was thinking it might change the wear pattern between the lifters and cam.

I also want to check and make sure the front cam bearing has the groove, and the cam has the oil relief holes in the back end. Wasn't aware of these things the first time around and consequently didn't check them.

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS
    Quote Originally Posted by 1980_Cj7
    Was just reading about the cam anti-walk kit in the sticky post on distributor gears. Would it be a good idea to install one on our re-rebuild?
    300 broke-back miles? Or is this a different cam
    " “It is said that men go mad in herds, and only come to their senses slowly, and one by one.." -Charles MacKay
    "'The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.' "
    -Ronald Reagan

VOTE

I spoke with the owner of the butcher shop - UCF MACHINE SHOP IN CARLISLE, PA and he is refusing to pay for another shop to correct and redo the motor correctly. He said that he would redo the motor and fix it at no cost himself.

I do not under any circumstances want these jokers working on my motor anymore. Does anyone know what kind of legal rights I may have? He indeed agrees that they messed it up and that it should be corrected, however he does not agree on the fact that I would like to select the new doctor.

He said "didn't I ever make a mistake?" I replied, yes, everybody makes mistakes and has bad days, but, it was more that one thing you screwed up: 1) cam installed wrong, 2) timing gear installed wrong and no oil getting to the timing chain, distributor gears, fuel pump eccentric, etc., 3) pistons installed .017" down the holes, 4) brand new rod bearings look like they have 100,000 miles on them already, and who knows what else we'll find when we continue tearing the engine apart. Plus, I'm sure if he redid the engine, we'd end up at least .040 over. The new engine shop said they'd take just the bare minimum to clean up the cylinders, then we could order custom pistons to fit.

The other thing is when we took the engine back to these clowns when it first started acting up, they looked at it and said they had no idea what was wrong. Even when we then tore the pistons out and showed them to them, they said they never saw anything like that and didn't know what would cause it.

Advertising isn't cheap, but I think these birds are gonna get some real cheap advertising...only not the kind I think they want!