Bulltear Ad
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Newb Question- WHAT DO I NEED??

ok, so hopefully you guys have the high horsepower crap out of your systems now...

So what I am looking for a little extra over stock, I now have the engine stripped down to the rolling assembly, and I don't have a lot of cash to work with here.

I really just want to have a reliable engine. I don't think I could afford to have the block bored out with new pistons. But it would be nice to maybe change the rings and whatever else to extend the life of the engine.

Now back to the main topic of my thread....

WHAT DO I NEED????

I see all this oiling issue conversations and thats great, OK so I need to fix that, so I buy the timing cover from the Bulltear store, and a newer better oil pump as well?

And I have to drill some holes??? Where??

I've been told on here that Carter makes a high performance fuel pump (I started another thread on fuel pumps too)

When I found this 360 it came with an auto tranny, so I guess I will need another fly wheel, will the one off my 304 fit??

Sorry I keep bugging you guys, but the high horsepower on an offroad CJ but it ain't gonna happen.

You don't need to drill any holes or make any internal oiling system mods so long as you ensure your pump is in good shape. The best oiling related mod you can do aside from that is to increase pan capacity for better feed in unusual attitudes.

Since you are sticking with the original stock pistons, re-ring with iron (not molly) and put in an Engle 5052-H cam with new springs and lifters and be done with it.

If you are not going to have the crank re-ground or polished, at least check journal size to see if going to .001 oversize bearings would be of benefit. Don't rule out regrinding the crank if it is way out of round or worn below spec - loose bearings is the first thing to cause low oil pressure. ACL makes full groove main bearings for better rod journal oiling that may be of benefit. CAREFULL not to nick the crank during piston removal/installation.

See if you can find an .028 thick head gasket to match the .012 stock deck clearance to get a better quench.

Put it together and go.

Can't specifically help you with the 304 pressure plate question but I would guess it is not balanced properly for the 360.
    Bare Tub Restoring 69 BBB Javelin SST 390 Go/Mod Pak
    Frame Off Restoring 82 Wagoneer with 401 MPEFI transplant
    "First rule of government funding; Why build one when you can build two at twice the price!"

Oh,

AND CLEAN THE CRAP OUT OF THE BLOCK!!!

Bare Tub Restoring 69 BBB Javelin SST 390 Go/Mod Pak
    Frame Off Restoring 82 Wagoneer with 401 MPEFI transplant
    "First rule of government funding; Why build one when you can build two at twice the price!"

yup, doin that too

Quote Originally Posted by 82Waggy
    You don't need to drill any holes or make any internal oiling system mods so long as you ensure your pump is in good shape. The best oiling related mod you can do aside from that is to increase pan capacity for better feed in unusual attitudes.

Since you are sticking with the original stock pistons, re-ring with iron (not molly) and put in an Engle 5052-H cam with new springs and lifters and be done with it.

If you are not going to have the crank re-ground or polished, at least check journal size to see if going to .001 oversize bearings would be of benefit. Don't rule out regrinding the crank if it is way out of round or worn below spec - loose bearings is the first thing to cause low oil pressure. ACL makes full groove main bearings for better rod journal oiling that may be of benefit. CAREFULL not to nick the crank during piston removal/installation.

See if you can find an .028 thick head gasket to match the .012 stock deck clearance to get a better quench.

Put it together and go.

Can't specifically help you with the 304 pressure plate question but I would guess it is not balanced properly for the 360.

Good post! I am new to amc v-8's as well and this thread helps explain alot to an offroader.

I just got a 360 out of an 86 grand wagoneer. It ran good and I am trying to figure out if I should do anything to it before I put it in the yj? I am going to start my own thread for the questions.

thanks

Thank you from BT ULTRA TECH MASTER!!!
    Bam Bam, If it's not too late..
    Do a good rebuild on it.. (I would replace cam bearings) and do the front cover/oil pump deal with a stainless midplate from bulltear.. for power? I would go with the edelbrock performer cam and intake..it works pretty well. (I use a edel torker on my 360.. I can't tell ya why it works cause it shouldnt..) but the "Old school" 4 bbl carb intake and cam with a decent set of headers will make good power. down in the rpm range where you can use it. plus when it's 5 degrees outside it will still start.
    and if ya have the bucks, go with Mallaory of msd ignition system (or davis if ya got a few bucks..
    Clean it up build it clean and you wont have any bottom end woes
    "A man's got to know his limitation's"

Dirty Harry.

cool thanks goose!