Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968
Newb Question- WHAT DO I NEED??
Bulltear Ad
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Newb Question- WHAT DO I NEED??

Newb Question- WHAT DO I NEED??

Sorry guys. Just way to overwhelmed with all this great info but....

Just picked up a 360, my 304 was chewin up distributor gears. I want to rebuild the 360 and I want it to work well.

I looked the E-store and I am SOOO CONFUSED

What the hell do I need to make this thing rock solid? I do want to put a in a cam that will friendly for wheeling and won't let me down.

Please let me know what I need.

Thank you from BT ULTRA TECH MASTER!!!
    Well welcome to the site.. Now before you get even more confusing info.. Tell us what you are putting the 360 in and what kind of wheeling/driving you do.. For instance is this your daily driver? and what kind of mods have you done to it..

(before you end up with a recipe for a nitro sucking fire breathing full race aluminum 9000 hp 14000 rpm motor..for your 3a..to idle over trails with )
    (Sorry I'm kinda the resident wise guy) well one of em anyway.
    "A man's got to know his limitation's"

Dirty Harry.

Thats ok, the wise guys usually know what they are talking about

Ok so I am running a 78 CJ7, AX-15, D300
    for axles at this point I am running wide track 30 & Corp 20 (moser shafts) Locked with 4:56 gears on 35s

Planning on going full width 60 front and 14 bolt rear on 38s with 5:13s

This is not a daily driver, but not yet a trailer queen. I am not looking for a pile of horsepower that will twist a shaft. Just something that will run nicely in most situations with more torque in the lower end.

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS
    [quote="Bam Bam"]That’s ok, the wise guys usually know what they are talking about [quote]

Leaves me out then I dropped a 360 into an 85 CJ, T-5, Dana 300, and Dana 44's front and rear with lockers.

I doubt the AX15 will hold up if you "Goose" the heck out of it ( Goose ). I know the T-5 won't, but I'll be "gentle" until I can find a 727 or equivilant to drop in behind it.

I haven't been home enough to get it finished, but there are some pic's in the readers ride section. I didn't go full blown, but had it bored +.30, cross-drilled and polished the crank after opening the oil ways, dropped a Summit 8600 cam, E-brock performer intake, and when I get it back from MC I have the E-brock 1406 carb to put back on. Desktop dyno has it around 400 HP.

'Rat
    " “It is said that men go mad in herds, and only come to their senses slowly, and one by one.." -Charles MacKay
    "'The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.' "
    -Ronald Reagan

VOTE

i don't know man, I already cooked my T-5 behind my 304

I have been told the T-5 rates weaker than a Peugeot tranny

Sounds like a nice set-up tho

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS
    Yeah, I don't think it will last long either - but it's new

Here are few shots of "Pat's Projects"
    " “It is said that men go mad in herds, and only come to their senses slowly, and one by one.." -Charles MacKay
    "'The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.' "
    -Ronald Reagan

VOTE

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS jeepsr4ever's Avatar
    I would start with a mild RV camshaft to get things rolling. How many miles are on the motor right now?
    [COLOR=#000000]
    Featuring www.StarLabCNC.com[/URL] for CNC plasma machines
    1-651-433-3689 TOLL FREE 1-855-433-3689

unfortunately the dash was out of the Waggy when I found it, and then it was sent to the crusher as soon as I pulled the engine, so I guess I will have to try to find out from the wreckers. But I really doubt I will have any luck.

Thank you from BT ULTRA TECH MASTER!!!
    Goo sed again...
    "A man's got to know his limitation's"

Dirty Harry.

Thank you from BT Ultra tech
    Here we go again!!!

Mild "RV" camshaft????

That is what a stock cam was/is.

The AMC head design will rev to 6500 & supply over 450HP when fresh & without any significant mods!!! 8500RPM & over 600HP when fully prepped.

If you put little intakes, carbs, cams, exhaust, etc, on it, that's what kind of power you will get out of it.

I believe in COMPLIMENTING the engine design, not detracting from it.

The 360 will easily go 450 HP & burst to 7500 RPM with common hot rodding mods. 6500 RPM is safer for the cast rods but modifying aftermarket forged SBC rods to use with the 360 is common & the 390/401 forged crank can also be used.

It just depends on what powerband you want, higher HP is at the higher end of the RPM scale.
    .................................................. .................................................. .........
    '69 BigBadOrange AMX 390. Former NHRA 'Hot Rod", 9.80s @ mid 130s. Hurst/Airheart front discs brakes.
    Nostalgia ProStock.

'71 AMX 401 w/5-speed Richmond RR trans. 4 wheel disc. 500++ HP. Nostalgia TransAm.
    .................................................. .................................................. .........
    mailto: dhoelcher@Comcast.net GPS: 41.78, -86.24