Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Newb Question- WHAT DO I NEED?? - Page 2
Bulltear Ad
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Newb Question- WHAT DO I NEED??

Thank you from BT ULTRA TECH MASTER!!!
    Umm ok I'll bite, What exactly is wrong with the stock cam for wheeling?..
    he wants to wheel it ..which doesnt work well with it lumpty lumping all over the place.. and where in hell would you use 7500 rpm in a trail rig? if the powerband doesnt "hit" until 2500 rpm then what good is it on the trail? you need power on the bottom 1000 rpm to 5500 it's easy enough to break ujoints, axles etc with out compounding the problem with having to rev the snot out of it and "Launch" over every obstacle. unless you want to run a stout automatic and high stall converter that kind of motor is useless off road.
    I think the point you are missing here is there are two numbers.. torque and HP torque is what is wanted in a trail rig. and you dont get that with long duration big overlap cams.

Seriously, the tool for the job, you dont drive nails with a screwdriver

And finally it really isnt a sin to not build every engine to the utmost limits of durability and sanity..I will bet that for the most part with proper gearing and all other things being equal a 258 six would go places that a 500 horse lumpty lump couldnt (in the same vehicle).

Sorry for the rant and it's not personal..
    "A man's got to know his limitation's"

Dirty Harry.

no man, Goose, I appreciate it. I am trying to learn here. I don't know much about engines, and i am trying to fix that.

So just to confirm, I would like the engine to idle low, but I also want low end torque. This is a trail rig and I really don't want to "launch" over anything if I can avoid it. Thats how I bend axles.

Thank you from BT Ultra tech
    I knew that was coming!!!

Go ahead & de-tune it, use little bitty cam, intake, carb, exhaust, etc.

Hell, you could probably figure a way to use 1969 heads for even less power!!!!

You could then paint your front bumper yellow so everybody will know to put their rig in gear & get going again when they see that you have caught up.

Or, a 500+ ft/lb, 500+ HP 401 could be built that delivers over 400 ft/lbs at 2500 & over 500 ft/lbs from 3000 to 4500, redlining at 6500 or less. THAT is for ME!!! (& those are easy numbers from a mild build.

MORE IS MORE!!!

Some trails are WFO & 70MPH+++, some are a-put-a-put-a-put

Over and out (of this thread).
    .................................................. .................................................. .........
    '69 BigBadOrange AMX 390. Former NHRA 'Hot Rod", 9.80s @ mid 130s. Hurst/Airheart front discs brakes.
    Nostalgia ProStock.

'71 AMX 401 w/5-speed Richmond RR trans. 4 wheel disc. 500++ HP. Nostalgia TransAm.
    .................................................. .................................................. .........
    mailto: dhoelcher@Comcast.net GPS: 41.78, -86.24

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS
    Bring your butt back here Holeshot. You're not getting out of here that easy

What cam would you suggest for the situation? Since I'm about int he same boat - ocassional DD and weekend/hunting partner

Yes, we know HP comes from the upper bands, but bringing 4000-6000 Engine RPM down to a usable torque at rational wheel speeds for crawling would take several gear boxes to reduce it. My contraption only has about 50::1 right now.

I've built my 360 with the Summit 8600 (which may be a mistake), performer, Holly 4BBl, .030 over, .010/,010 ground, cross drilled and polished, peend stock rods, balanced, and oil modded.

Desktop Dyno has me right around 400 HP @5600 but the torque curve peaks between 3600 and 4000.

I haven't had it running yet - still in the rebuild cycle - so what should I have done differently to pick the HP and torque up?
    " “It is said that men go mad in herds, and only come to their senses slowly, and one by one.." -Charles MacKay
    "'The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.' "
    -Ronald Reagan

VOTE

Thank you from BT ULTRA TECH MASTER!!!
    Naahh Bam Bam you just happened to get caught in the eternal struggle me and holseshot seem to be in.. I am a low RPM torque fan and he is a high rpm horsepower fan..Although my Slow ass yellow bumpered 5800# J-10 on 33's will still run a 14 second vettes ass into the ground. (Nobody waits for me holeshot.. but when they get stuck It's me the "OLD GUY" that gets em out.) and usually they get in trouble running WFO 70 mph.. thats not a trail if you can do that.. most of us call that a highway.

So enough of that.. For a usuable motor at a reasonable price build it for low rpm grunt leave the bottom end STOCK (upgrade the oil system) and stay reasonable with the cam and carb..the performer is very little more than a stock cam (in this holeshot is right) but the stock 360 cam doesnt perform that badly, power on at about 800 rpm to 5000the torque curve is kinda flat and even. I use the Edelbrock torker manifold and a good ignition system (Mallory for me) along with a decent set of headers and exhaust system. besides I can brag and tell everyone it makes 500 hp cause nobody brings thier pocket dyno out in the woods anyway.
    "A man's got to know his limitation's"

Dirty Harry.

Ya I can understand the little fights, I spend way too much time on jeepkings.ca and we bicker way too much in the winter since everyone is bored.

I do understand what Holeshot is saying, but keep in mind, even with my little 304 I had lots of torque, and I broke stuff if I goosed it.

I would like to add some horsepower, but I don't want to pumping out enough to take a vette in the quarter mile!

For engine mods (i guess you could call it that) I have (from the 304) an Edlebrock Alum Intake (not sure which one) Holley 4 Barrel 650, and Dynomax (I know they are shit headers, but thats all I have) with Purple Horney Side pipes. So no mufflers or cats on this sucker.

So I hope this helps the cam issue. What cam do I need?

And this oiling thing....

What do I need to do? Other then some oil pump thing and such. Sorry kinda dumb here.

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS
    Bam Bam
    Check the AMC Oiling Thread here ... http://www.bulltear.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=25 and if you thought you wanted info, prepare for saturation

For the cam question, that's open to lots of interpretation and MIS-interpretation. There is no “one answer”. John started a Cam Thread here .. http://www.bulltear.com/forums/viewt...&highlight=cam that may provide some help in sorting out the sordid world of bump-sticks. Again, you’ll find it’s a matter of deciding on what you want for performance, what you’re willing to spend, and which manufacturer do you trust. Some board members have had good luck with some brands and others have not with the same name. I’ve pretty much determined it’s a crap shoot. But the one MAJOR thing to do when you get your new stick is carefully inspect it and make sure the flashing is gone from the hole that is supposed to be there for the 304 and up motors.

'Rat
    " “It is said that men go mad in herds, and only come to their senses slowly, and one by one.." -Charles MacKay
    "'The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.' "
    -Ronald Reagan

VOTE

360 torque

'69 BigBadOrange AMX 390. Former NHRA 'Hot Rod", 9.80s @ mid 130s. Hurst/Airheart front discs brakes.
    Nostalgia ProStock.

'71 AMX 401 w/5-speed Richmond RR trans. 4 wheel disc. 500++ HP. Nostalgia TransAm.

401 torque

Nostalgia ProStock.

401 rev

Nostalgia ProStock.