Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Newb Question- WHAT DO I NEED?? - Page 4
Bulltear Ad
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Newb Question- WHAT DO I NEED??

I'm with Goose for Jeep motors - Keep overlap low, watch out for late intake closing point, and if you are running at or near stock compression do not exceed 260 duration and get as much lift as the lifter diameter will accomodate. This will help build cylinder pressure, improve bottom end torque, and provide for a wide torque curve.

Check out Engel's 5052-H. Probably about as good a cam as you can buy off the shelf for a Jeep motor.

Need proof? Check out donwag's 401 dyno sheet in the general chat section of this forum. Made over 400lbsft torque from 2000 - 4400rpm with a 256 duration cam and only 9:1 compression. More duration would only have shortened the curve and raised the rpm point of peak torque.

I beleive the use of the higher lift Engle cam above would bumped the numbers up across the board and lengthened the rpm range a little more.
    Bare Tub Restoring 69 BBB Javelin SST 390 Go/Mod Pak
    Frame Off Restoring 82 Wagoneer with 401 MPEFI transplant
    "First rule of government funding; Why build one when you can build two at twice the price!"

I only have these 2 companies to work with

so help me out here

Hmm

Well, the Performer Plus duration is way too long for a low compression engine, and the intake closing point of the Crane H-260-2 is relatively late at 61 degrees ABDC which would likely drop cylinder pressure from stock. So, not sure what to tell you.

Why are you stuck with either of these two parts?
    "First rule of government funding; Why build one when you can build two at twice the price!"

I can get a deal through Keystone, and thats who they carry

Quote Originally Posted by 82Waggy
    Check out Engel's 5052-H. Probably about as good a cam as you can buy off the shelf for a Jeep motor.
    What is their website? Where can I find some info on these?

Thank you from BT Ultra tech

401 cams & rockers

And don't forget, you can use 289/302/351W 1.7 rocker arms to accelerate the cam events, extend the DUR, and add to the lift. Not a bunch of performance here, but if you are buying rockers anyway, it could add a bit of oomph.

Sorry to say that I'm not all that impressed with 400 ft/lb torque numbers out of a "built" 401, they had 430 ft/lbs stock before the tree-huggers got them de-tuned!!!

THIS is what DOES impress me!!! I just can't imagine why this is not enough torque!!!

.................................................. .................................................. .........
    '69 BigBadOrange AMX 390. Former NHRA 'Hot Rod", 9.80s @ mid 130s. Hurst/Airheart front discs brakes.
    Nostalgia ProStock.

'71 AMX 401 w/5-speed Richmond RR trans. 4 wheel disc. 500++ HP. Nostalgia TransAm.
    .................................................. .................................................. .........
    mailto: dhoelcher@Comcast.net GPS: 41.78, -86.24

Can you say, Lumpety, Lumpety, Ping, Lumpety?

Thank you from BT ULTRA TECH MASTER!!!
    well Really the only problem I see here is what I keep trying to 'splain...the graph doesn't even START until 2000 rpm..I want to see the bottom end..at 800 rpm you need enough to keep the truck moving without stalling in gear. (How many guys with a zillion hp have you seen stall on a obstacle then try to get restarted with the stupid pedal..up in smoke go the tires and the clutch and pop goes the ujoints..) finesse and skill not brute force and ignorance.. (ok the latter can be fun to watch unless the guy is in front of you).. It's all relative. IF you gave me a choice between 1100 hp at 7000 rpm or 450 ft lbs of torque at 800 rpm.. bet ya can't guess which one I want..in my jeep.. in a gremmy or something i'll take the other.
    "A man's got to know his limitation's"

Dirty Harry.

Dynamic compression of 9:1 on pump gas?