Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AMC 360 INTAKE MANIFOLD GASKET PROBLEM

AMC 360 INTAKE MANIFOLD GASKET PROBLEM

• Today I wanted to put a wrench threw my windshield, I'm trying to put my edelbrock performer intake manifold back on my 360 V8 and the front and rear gasket not to mention the pain in the butt huge metal gasket keep sliding around. Do i need that huge gasket? Ill i could find about it is that it was made to stop the oil from splashing, and keeps the motor cooler. The end gaskets slide out as well when i torque the intake down to the recommended 45ft/lbs. What would you recommend using? or What remedy did you use to make it easy.

Thank you from BT Junior wrench of the Forum
    Toss the front and rear rubber gaskets and use RTV. Use the tin valley pan gasket. The valley pan gasket sides will fit nicely just under the ridges on the head. May have to bend it a little to form it up better.
    Don
    84 CJ7
    82 Cherokee
    89 GW

You need to "pre bend" the metal gasket. The four "dowels" should sit nicely inside the holes at the four corners and hold it in place while you set the manifold.
    1977 AMC Jeep Cherokee: 360/TH400/1339/44/44 - Beavis
    1984 AMC Jeep CJ7: 401/SM465/AtlasII/44/9" - Grimm Jeeper
    1986 Chevy K20: 5.3/4L60/NP241/10b/14b - Tow Rig
    2004 Pontiac GTO: LS1/T56/M80 - :D

Try out my gear ratio calculator (Now in metric)

Thank you from BT ULTRA TECH MASTER!!!
    I agree, throw out the end seals and use silicone, and as stated you have to prebend the tin valleypan gasket. Also are you running any kind of valley oil line as that may be interfearing with your install.
    he who dies with the most toys wins!!!
    69' amx 390 4 speed best et 11.85 @ 116mph
    VOTEBUTTON

should i use rtv on the metal gasket or no

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhinolined360
    should i use rtv on the metal gasket or no
    Welcome Rhinolined360 glad your here. This is the most tech savvy place for AMC engines. Some build for speed and some for crawling so watch out what you ask for

Next, please reduce the size of your avatar. It's a nice ride but 80x80 pixals max is requested on the size.

Other than that we have some real gear heads here and some have decades of real experiance.

'Rat
    " “It is said that men go mad in herds, and only come to their senses slowly, and one by one.." -Charles MacKay
    "'The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.' "
    -Ronald Reagan

VOTE

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS tufcj's Avatar
    I generally use copper spray-a-gasket around the intake ports (sprayed onto both sides of the steel gasket). I use black or gray permatex around the water ports (again both sides). I always install the rubber end gaskets dry, with just a dab of permatex at the ends, never had one squish out. Clean all surfaces with brake cleaner first.

Pre-bend it so it stays placed in the 4 outermost holes, make every effort to drop the manifold on with a minimum of sliding around.

Bob
    tufcj
    1969 AMX
    1967 Rambler Rogue

If you need a tool and don't buy it...
    you'll eventually pay for it...
    and not have it.
    Henry Ford

'69 AMX 12.60@107 - Ohio, unfortunately (:-P)
    You may want to consider blocking off the Intake heat crossover passages.
    I siliconed a piece of galvanized dryer duct cut to fit over the valley pan holes.
    This will help keep that Aluminum Intake cooler and prevent boiling the carb.
    If the end seals are squishing out you may want to check the Intake fit.
    depending on what parts you have and what's been machined where,
    the Intake may be sitting to low in between the heads.
    If it was a used intake it may have already been machined narrower.
    When fitting an intake both the head and block surfaces get machined each by different amounts.
    Also have you removed the sheet metal Oil Baffle from yur old cast iron Intake
    and installed it onto the bottom of the aluminum Performer Intake ?
    This helps prevent sucking oil through the PCV and into the bottom of the carb.

Thank you from BT ULTRA TECH MASTER!!!
    I would use the rtv on all the ports and clean use the rubber on the ends with RTV but prebending the sheet metal is essential.. Although I have put together a few without the tin using the MR Gasket intake Gaskets.. some have said they get oil usage this way but I havent had a problem.. yet..
    "A man's got to know his limitation's"

Dirty Harry.

I just got done this weekend installing my edelbrock intake for the 4th time. I had everything go wrong that could. The first time I twisted a bolt off, then I forgot an end gasket.

I finally placed the metal in and bent it to fit nicely in the valley and the guides into the bolt holes. After four installs I had to shape it more or bend it back into correct shape. Finally I used a small bead of rtv around all of the coolant ports and the ends. Then torqued it down. =D>
    Nothing is fool proof to a sufficiently tallented fool!