Thread: AMC 360 Oil Pump Problem

AMC 360 Oil Pump Problem

Today was the first day I have ever drove my beast. My oil pressure at idle was less than 10 pounds. I drove it around and it varied alot. I stopped the car after driving it for like 10 minuates. When I got back into it like 10 minuates later i turned it on and had no oil pressure, i also heard a ticking noise that wasnt going on before. What do you think it wrong. I primed the oil pump with petrolium jelly as told in the manual. The oil is new I have changed it like 3 times since breaking it in, Ive used valvoline 10w30. The temperature didnt go higher than 180, i kept it under 3000 rpm's at all times

Read the oiling posts a lot of good info. in there, but below are some things to check
    Was this a rebuild on the motor and if so did you check the clearances of main & rod bearings with plastic gauge? What was oil PSI at break in if a rebuild?
    When you changed the oil did you change the filter too? If so did you use the same make/model filter, try changing filter and or make/model to see if this fixes it.
    Then maybe look at the pressure plunger & spring in the housing.
    Have to ask did you check oil level?
    Dave ----