Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968
Power steering issues

Thread: Power steering issues

Power steering issues

My jeep is finally done, but the bad news is my steering. I have a 80 CJ5 with 35 inch tires, no sway bar, 4inch skyjacker suspension lift , 1 inch body lift. Power steering. Now when i go in a straight line over 25 mph my car tends to just jump right or left, and its hard to control it, very unsteady. I took it to get aligned and the place i took it too said they aligned it but the problem wasnt fixed they didnt even charge me. All the tires have the same amount of pressure, lol all the lugs are tight. Im thinking its the power steering gear box or pump, all the lines are new and hooked up right. No leaks or noises and it turns great both ways.

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS jeepsr4ever's Avatar
    Worn bushings in the shackles or leaf springs will do this
    [COLOR=#000000]
    Featuring www.StarLabCNC.com[/URL] for CNC plasma machines
    1-651-433-3689 TOLL FREE 1-855-433-3689

Well if the shop did not charge you can’t bitch I guess but if they where any good they should of fixed it or told you what it would take to do so!

I am saying this knowing you have checked ALL tie rod ends right!
    You can check the box for play, with wheels straight & motor off move the wheel left & right just till you see the tires move left & right take note of this movement.
    Now do the same with motor running, some of this play should go away and you should not have a lot of play. Check it against a car/truck that does NOT have rack & pinion, if your jeep has more play you can try and take it out.
    Look at the top of your box and you will see and adjustment set screw & lock nut. loosen the nut, turn the set screw in a little at a time checking play after each little turn.
    Do NOT go in too much as you need some play and you could break the adjustment plate ask how I know.
    This box should also be set on the “high” spot, this holds the tires straight too. To find the high spot I would disconnect the tie rod at the pitman arm after the tires are pointing straight. Then if you turn wheel left & right you should feel it get harder to turn at one spot close to center, when you have it on this high spot see if you can put the tie rod back in pitman arm if it will not then you have to adjust the drag link so it will slip into the pitman arm.

Now they should of checked toe in/out and adjusted, and checked caster & camber of witch they may not been able to adjust-this is built into your axle.
    Now when you installed the 4” lift it may have rotated the axle for good drive shaft angel but bad for caster/camber. You can get degree shims to rotate the axle back to end up with a happy middle. If all others check out ok then this may be what you need.

I think that should cover every thing.
    Dave ----
    75 GremlinX v8 64k
    76 GremlinX i6 (15yr sons)
    70 Javelin MD 390/4sp (360 now)
    70 Javelin 1/4 Drag car 360/auto best time 12.88...best speed 103.64 mph...best 60' 1.835 no tuning

Just thought what are the ball joints like? How bout axle ujoints frozen?
    Dave ----
    75 GremlinX v8 64k
    76 GremlinX i6 (15yr sons)
    70 Javelin MD 390/4sp (360 now)
    70 Javelin 1/4 Drag car 360/auto best time 12.88...best speed 103.64 mph...best 60' 1.835 no tuning

Thank you from BT ULTRA TECH MASTER!!!
    I'm gonna add something that will sound very stupid but check it anyway (ask me how I know).. Make sure your front hubs are out.. and released yea I know..it sounds dumb but it will make evil handling probs.
    "A man's got to know his limitation's"

Dirty Harry.