Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Lifting a XJ
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lifting a XJ

Thank you from BT ULTRA TECH MASTER!!!

Lifting a XJ

My boss here wants to lift his XJ... I have a couple questions... with say 3" of lift.. you dont need to do the Slip yoke eliminator or drop the t-case do ya?? (I am going to end up doing this lift... and I really don't want to be unemployed.)Black mountain kits from collins bros ok??
    "A man's got to know his limitation's"

Dirty Harry.

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS tufcj's Avatar
    You can never tell on an XJ. You should be safe, but I've heard of people with u-joint vibes with as little a 2" of lift. I have a friend with 5" of lift on an Xj w/o a slip eliminator. Make sure you include the t-case drop in case of vibes.

One trick is to use YJ (Wrangler) driveshaft yokes, which have more clearance than the XJ. Check the yoke clearances at full droop even with 3", you may need to clearance a bit with a die grinder.

Bob
    tufcj
    1969 AMX
    1967 Rambler Rogue

If you need a tool and don't buy it...
    you'll eventually pay for it...
    and not have it.
    Henry Ford

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS
    The SYE isn't bad, I did it in my shop in under 4 hours to a YJ (NP231). Just remember to match the shift yoke shaft to the detent. Mine was too long after the conversion so I had to cut off almost an inch of the shaft, and it's still hard to shift into 4WD 'cause it hits th4e cap.
    " “It is said that men go mad in herds, and only come to their senses slowly, and one by one.." -Charles MacKay
    "'The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.' "
    -Ronald Reagan

VOTE

Thank you from BT ULTRA TECH MASTER!!! pyagid's Avatar
    Like Bob said, for some reason all XJ's are different. I rarely heard of anyone needing an SYE due to vibes under 4"s but have heard it happen.

I have 4.5" in my XJ with a rustys off road 1" drop cross member and have no vibes at all. its a 4.0 with automatic set up.

Most likely if there are vibes, you will be able to get away with just a t-case drop. As far as brands, I have installed a bunch of rustys offroad lifts all worked really well. Don't think you could beat it for the price. I have a Rubicon express lift in my XJ now and love it but it is more pricey.

Those would be my top 2 recommendations though

-Paul
    "Live as if your were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever."
    - Mahatma Gandhi

http://www.mikeysway.org/ <~~~ Friend of the family. 100% of donations are contributed. All Taxes and fees are paid for by an outside source

Thanks guys..I am really looking forward to this (so I can find out how it will work out on mine..)

Dirty Harry.

Daughters YJ still has a vibe issue about 50 MPH even AFTER the SYE, new Tom Woods CV shaft, a 1" tranny drop (engine and tranny both rebuilt) and new U-joints
    " “It is said that men go mad in herds, and only come to their senses slowly, and one by one.." -Charles MacKay
    "'The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.' "
    -Ronald Reagan

VOTE

Thank you from BT ULTRA TECH MASTER!!! pyagid's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mudrat
    Daughters YJ still has a vibe issue about 50 MPH even AFTER the SYE, new Tom Woods CV shaft, a 1" tranny drop (engine and tranny both rebuilt) and new U-joints
    Sure its in the rear shaft? Drive it in front wheel drive only, remove the rear shaft completely and see if you still have the vibes?

if so, just stretch the wheelbase so you could get a longer shaft in the Jeep
    "Live as if your were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever."
    - Mahatma Gandhi

http://www.mikeysway.org/ <~~~ Friend of the family. 100% of donations are contributed. All Taxes and fees are paid for by an outside source

Well after chasing the driveline vibes in the J-10 for so long.. I found out the stub on the new retubed drive shaft was about 1.5 degrees out of true..

Dirty Harry.

Quote Originally Posted by pyagid
    Sure its in the rear shaft? Drive it in front wheel drive only, remove the rear shaft completely and see if you still have the vibes?

if so, just stretch the wheelbase so you could get a longer shaft in the Jeep
    Don't even have the front shaft in right now!!!

And the stretch deal ... been there done that remember this?

An 85 Scrambler stretched 18" ??? Not one of my better ideas ....
    -Ronald Reagan

VOTE

Do you have any more pictures of the stretched scrambler? That thing is sweet!