Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Clutch fork?

Clutch fork?

Well I finally got all the parts to mount my 401 in the cJ7 frame. I had purchased a used bell housing which came with a fork and spring. I bought a new pivot bearing and internal spring. Put everything together, t150 bellhousing to 401 and mounted in the frame. I tried the clutch after I was done and no engage. Is there different forks available that are different from the 6 cyl to the v8? I have about an inch of play and run out of room before the bearing even touches the clutch. Everything went together good. Maybe the fork is mangled?

Any help will be appreciated as I did not have the original parts with this jeep so I have no idea what they should look like.
    Nothing is fool proof to a sufficiently tallented fool!

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS tufcj's Avatar
    There are 2 styles of forks. The older ones (pre 1976) used a GM style throwout that was available in a couple of different heights. The later one (76-79) used a "clip on" style throwout that sits on a couple of pins on the arm. As far as I know, there is only one height of that style.

Is it possible that the pivot ball fell out? I've seen it happen. A good blob of grease is needed to hold it in.

The correct bellhousing for the T-150 (up thru 79) should have a rectangular hole for the arm, about 3"x5". The later bells that used the t-176, t-4, and t-5 trannies had a square hole, about 5"x5". I've never tried mixing parts, but maybe that's the problem.

I've also seen the pivot on the bellhousing side installed backwards. That makes the adjustment rod seem too short.

Bob
    tufcj
    1969 AMX
    1967 Rambler Rogue

If you need a tool and don't buy it...
    you'll eventually pay for it...
    and not have it.
    Henry Ford

Yea the ball is in there and the pivot is cast into the housing with a 3X5 rectagle opening. The bearing is the clip on type and low in height. It is possible I was given the wrong fork for this bell housing. I don't really know. I got it on Ebay.

I guess I should look at a different fork and bearing.

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS tufcj's Avatar
    The other thing is to be sure you got the right clutch. The Jeep and GM pressure plates are the same, but the fingers on the Jeep version sit higher. If you have a diaphram type, it's more than likely a GM crossover, as far as I know, Jeep never used a diaphram type on CJs, Trucks, or Wagoneers.

Bob
    tufcj
    1969 AMX
    1967 Rambler Rogue

If you need a tool and don't buy it...
    you'll eventually pay for it...
    and not have it.
    Henry Ford

Thank you from BT Tech Master Bulltear Forum
    i think jeep used the diaphram pressure plate from 82-86 4WD has the correct throwout bearing for the diaphram and the finger style plate.

Well I got the pressure plate, clutch and bearing from 4WD. So I would assume it is the correct one?

they have several part numbers for the bearings i think all of them are different. there are two different forks,4 different bearings for the cj and several different clutch kits. the easiest way to get the right parts is to buy a kit. I got one from a local parts store for $120 with a two year warranty on the pressure plate.

Ok I got this idea. The bell housing has the ball pivot area cast in it. What if I grind that flat and then drill and tap to accept the replaceable bell housing pivot stud. the hard part would be to keep the area flat in relation to the bellhousing but would not be high precision. i would also have to grind down till I get the right clearance.

Otherwise I will have to somehow determine what bell housing and clutch set up goes with which fork and bearing set up for that housing. Does anyone have that based on part numbers.

clutch fork 76-86 3224192
    bearing 76-81 3-finger clutch 614038
    bearing 82-86 diaphram clutch A4323
    all 4WD part numbers

Thanks ironman! That probably is the safe way to go.