Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Block cut in half? - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Block cut in half?

Thank you from BT Tech Master Bulltear Forum
    the 2 plugs above the cam and below the 2 oil run off holes(sloted)

with cam gear on the plugs can be seen through the cam gear

from the inside the drain holes

best ever 11.669 @ 112.33 mph in 1/4 mile on 33 x 10.50 slicks and 4" lift / 7.358 @ 93.03 mph in the 1/8 mile

Hey, Thanks for the pics Fuzz. That helps a lot.
    The drain hole shot (from the inside) shows the holes I am talking about. When spinning the pump, the oil rushes into the lifter valley through them, which I take, not to be normal.
    Looking at the pics of the front, thru the timing gear, I take it that without the 2 plugs, the oil runs out of them into the timing chain cavity which fills up and and in turn runs into the drain holes, flooding the lifter valley. hence no pressure and no oil up to the lifters.
    That sound about right?

'69 AMX 12.60@107 - Ohio, unfortunately (:-P)
    Hey Fuzz401, is that a RollMaster Timing Set ?
    I guess the Torrington Bearing doesn't starve the Dizzy Gear for Oil ?

Just for reference, I believe the the (6) 3/8 Pipe Plugs needed in the block are there to plug holes
    that are used to give access to drill or ream the oil galley passages into the block during manufacture.

As they've said, they must be in place to seal up the oil galley passages to get pressure.
    The stock pipe plugs have a square socket hole rather than a hex socket hole.
    If a person wants the square socket hole 3/8 pipe plugs, they're hard to find,
    but they are available from Au-Ve-Co, box of (10), Part # 16307, $5.95
    It does sound like they've been left out of the front of the block.
    They are usually taken out when they clean the block.
    Be sure all (6) are installed, (2) front, (2) rear, (2) in valley at front wall on top.
    Have heard of people using an EDM machine to put a very small hole
    in the front ones to increase timing chain oiling.
    There absence would explain not getting oil to the rockers, no pressure, and oil coming in the those front holes.

I thought there where 7 plugs?
    1 smaller plug behind one of the front plugs, can’t remember if it was the left one or right one? If I can only find where I put “BJ Builds an AMC” book as I believe that is where I saw about it.
    But it does sound like the front plugs are missing!
    Dave ----
    75 GremlinX v8 64k
    76 GremlinX i6 (15yr sons)
    70 Javelin MD 390/4sp (360 now)
    70 Javelin 1/4 Drag car 360/auto best time 12.88...best speed 103.64 mph...best 60' 1.835 no tuning

that could do it

best ever 11.669 @ 112.33 mph in 1/4 mile on 33 x 10.50 slicks and 4" lift / 7.358 @ 93.03 mph in the 1/8 mile

Quote Originally Posted by FuzzFace2
    I thought there where 7 plugs?
    1 smaller plug behind one of the front plugs, can’t remember if it was the left one or right one? If I can only find where I put “BJ Builds an AMC” book as I believe that is where I saw about it.
    But it does sound like the front plugs are missing!
    Dave ----
    The plug behind the front gallery plug described in BJ's book is a restrictor for the left oil gallery - not a stock component.
    Bare Tub Restoring 69 BBB Javelin SST 390 Go/Mod Pak
    Frame Off Restoring 82 Wagoneer with 401 MPEFI transplant
    "First rule of government funding; Why build one when you can build two at twice the price!"

Dind! Ding! Ding!!! We have a winner. =D>
    You guys rock. I pulled the timing cover and you were correct. Both plugs were left out. I took the ones out of my old 304 to use in the 360.
    Now to get the gaskets and put her back together.
    Thanks a million.

Thanks Waggy for clearing that up, still have not found that book
    Caveman good to hear you found what the cause was.
    That’s why we pre lube motor to find little things like that, remember when you do it again to pre lube then rotate 90* and do it again till you get oil out ALL push rods & rockers till back to TDC.
    Good luck
    Dave ----
    75 GremlinX v8 64k
    76 GremlinX i6 (15yr sons)
    70 Javelin MD 390/4sp (360 now)
    70 Javelin 1/4 Drag car 360/auto best time 12.88...best speed 103.64 mph...best 60' 1.835 no tuning

Block Cut in Half .jpgs - > REPOST PLEASE <

A cutaway AMC block is unique - could the person who has these .jpgs please post them - in large enough format so that they may be studied in detail > please < ?

what I used is the paint they use on elec motors on the inside to seal the windings and the inside of a lot of welders