Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2962
Towing a CJ-5 four wheels down

Thread: Towing a CJ-5 four wheels down

Towing a CJ-5 four wheels down

Can I tow a CJ-5 four wheels down, using a tow bar? Can I do it if it does not have an engine in it? Finally, could one use a Chevy Trailblazer to do it?

A Trailblazer is all I can get for the tow. This will be a 400 mile trip.

Thanks!

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS jeepsr4ever's Avatar
    If it has the T-case and tranny put the T-case in neutral. You shouldnt have any issues towing it. To my knowledge these trailblazers have a switch to turn OD off. You should turn your over drive off
    [COLOR=#000000]
    Featuring www.StarLabCNC.com[/URL] for CNC plasma machines
    1-651-433-3689 TOLL FREE 1-855-433-3689

Thats good news, considering this is my only option getting it home short of either having it shipped ($$$) or renting an auto transport or dolly (which requires a class III hitch).

I guess I forgot to state that I also intend on using the vehicle's bumper to do this towing. I figured since the Jeep will be supporting all it's own weight, I'll be fine. Just won't accelerate real fast :>

What do you think about that?

Lockers could give you some troubles if you have them in the CJ, but other than that, T-case in N tranny in N you should be ok...

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS tufcj's Avatar
    With no engine, the only thing holding the tranny is that one small tranny mount. With the front of the trans hanging, you may have some u-joint angle problems.

Make sure the front of the trans is well supported. If you can't get it close to the same angle as if the engine was there, pull the rear shaft.

Also make sure the front hubs are unlocked.

With a towbar, the steering column needs to be unlocked if its a newer style.

Bob
    tufcj
    1969 AMX
    1967 Rambler Rogue

If you need a tool and don't buy it...
    you'll eventually pay for it...
    and not have it.
    Henry Ford

If it were me, I'd pull both driveshafts anyway. But yea, a Trailblazer should be able to flat tow it.
    1977 AMC Jeep Cherokee: 360/TH400/1339/44/44 - Beavis
    1984 AMC Jeep CJ7: 401/SM465/AtlasII/44/9" - Grimm Jeeper
    1986 Chevy K20: 5.3/4L60/NP241/10b/14b - Tow Rig
    2004 Pontiac GTO: LS1/T56/M80 - :D

Try out my gear ratio calculator (Now in metric)