Thread: front driveshaft angle

front driveshaft angle

hi i am swapping a chevy dana 44 front axle into my 78 cj5.is it ok to have the front drive shaft at a angle sideways.i want to know if i can get away without cutting the short side as this would allow me to not have to grind away the big chunk of casting on the pass side and i would also save some money on not having to get that shaft cut and resplined.it would be off center by about 2 inches.i run this thing in the mud and have a pretty hot motor in it.thanks

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS tufcj's Avatar
    Won't hurt at all. I ran a rear in my CJ that was about 2" off for years.

Are you outboarding the front springs? I have a Chevy 44HD in the front of my CJ, but both sides were cut, and it uses factory spring positions. It is SOA on 2.5" wide springs. I cut my housing so the short side is a factory Wagoneer shaft. Easy to get.

Bob
    tufcj
    1969 AMX
    1967 Rambler Rogue

If you need a tool and don't buy it...
    you'll eventually pay for it...
    and not have it.
    Henry Ford

no im not planning on outboarding.i am cutting them down to stock narrow track width or maybe a little wider so i can run a 4 inch backspacing on a 8 inch rim with out the tires sticking out any farther than they already do.this thing is still street legal(somewhat)and id like to keep it that way.i have a matching 60 for the back.does the shaft being off center change the relationship between the up and down angles at all or can i just set it up like it was straight.thanks

Thank you from BT Tech Master Bulltear Forum
    depends on the angle if its not enough to cause the joint to bind while the suspension cycles it will be fine