Thread: Dimensions for a CJ T18 input shaft

Thank you from BT Master (OIIIO)

Dimensions for a CJ T18 input shaft

Hey people.. My next project is to lengthen my rear driveshaft by Removing the Long input shaft in my T18b and making a short input shaft... I'm looking for exact dimensions from the CJ T18 input shafts.. Any help will be highly appreciated... Also, when I make this shaft etc... will I need to replace or make anything else?

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS tufcj's Avatar
    Are you planning on re-machining the long shaft? CJ length replacements are still available. Last one I bought was about $250 for the CJ input and bearing retainer.

I believe that if you re-machine, the splines are deep enough that you cut thru the case hardening, so you have to have it rehardened.

Bob
    tufcj
    1969 AMX
    1967 Rambler Rogue

If you need a tool and don't buy it...
    you'll eventually pay for it...
    and not have it.
    Henry Ford

I have no plans to re-machine the Shaft.. I'm just going to make a new one out of 4140 or 4340.. and then heat treat it and then stress relieve it... making it a little stronger than the stock version. I can save easily $200 if I make it myself... No-sense in wasting money... on something you can do!... I just finised making a PTO shaft for a guy... Made it out of Stainless Steel.

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS tufcj's Avatar
    Pretty complex machining, as the input shaft is also 4th gear. You would need to machine the gear plus the cone and teeth for the syncro. I have a spare buried in my shed, it would be way too difficult to measure and post all the dimensions.

Bob
    tufcj
    1969 AMX
    1967 Rambler Rogue

If you need a tool and don't buy it...
    you'll eventually pay for it...
    and not have it.
    Henry Ford

My buddy has one in his shed.... it's a ford T18 so, I'll take it apart and take the measurements... Will I need anything else when switching to the Ford type?