Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: YJ FRAME / CJ BODY??????????

Hybrid View

Thank you from BT Ultra tech

YJ FRAME / CJ BODY??????????

Besides the obvious question like : " Why would you want to do that" what are the pitfalls of using YJ frame and mounting a CJ body? I rather the CJ look. I know the YJ frame is beefier and wider in the front section, and I have put YJ tubs on CJ frames before. What other challenges await me?

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS tufcj's Avatar
    The YJ tub has better rustproofing. Why not just swap the front clip, dash and windshield? You can even put the CJ flares on the YJ tub. Like you said, the rest of the tub is nearly identical.

Other than the location of the 2 body mounts over the axle, and the location of the fuel filler, everything else is pretty much the same.

Bob
    tufcj
    1969 AMX
    1967 Rambler Rogue

If you need a tool and don't buy it...
    you'll eventually pay for it...
    and not have it.
    Henry Ford

Does that go for both 5's and 7's? they'll both fit on a Yj Frame?

YJ FRAME CJ TUB

Well Bob I have a nice 76 CJ 7 tub that I wanted to use and semi-restore back to nearly it's original look except for the YJ frame, 401 ect. I could use the CJ frame as it is in decent condition, but the YJ is a lot stronger and I happen to have an ulta clean bare YJ frame that is in my way and I wanted to use.

Just the CJ7 and YJ interchange. The CJ5 tub is too short (about 9" in the wheelbase, and some behind the rear wheels) for the YJ frame or the YJ frame is too long for the CJ5 tub (something like that).

It shouldn't make any difference, the CJ7 body on the YJ frame should be no toughter than the YJ body on a CJ7 frame.

Bob
    tufcj
    1969 AMX
    1967 Rambler Rogue

and not have it.
    Henry Ford

FRAME

BOB: IS THE YJ FRAME ANY STRONGER THAN THE CJ?

I really don't know that there's too much difference. The YJ has the 2.5" fromt springs, but the CJ can be converted. The YJ has a little lower ride height. If you lift it, you probably won't use the YJs panhard bars. Kind of a toss up based on personal preference.

I have a rust free 85 CJ frame that might make it under my Jeep one day. My 77 has some rust repair at the rear shackles. I bought it for $50 at a junkyard, the Jeep it came from had been laid on it's side and slid down the pavement.

Bob
    tufcj
    1969 AMX
    1967 Rambler Rogue

and not have it.
    Henry Ford

frames

Well the 76 frame is 30 years old. It's in great shape considering some that I have seen. The YJ frame is a 94 and I thought it might be a better choice

Thank you from BT Junior wrench of the Forum
    supposedly one of the upgrades from the cj to the yj was they increased the frame strength. Ive talked to people who go with a YJ frame for strengh and cj clip for looks.

I haven't seen the cj tub on a yj frame, but I think it's supposed to fit. I know 2 people that used a yj frame and tub with a cj front clip. The yj frame is stronger. I've found that the boxed cj frames are really strong enough anyway, but I'm not sure your 76 would have that. If you have a boxed frame then it's kinda a toss up.

If the cj's allready in pieces or you're gonna tear it apart I'd use the yj frame. Or if you have an unboxed cj frame definately use the yj frame. The yj frame is also nicer for use with full width axles because the frame is wider in the front. But if you want to use the stock cj axle you'll have to move the spring hangers in. You can't just widen the axle spring perches because the tires would rub on the springs when turning. Yj stock axles are about 8" wider than 76 cj axles. Even with the springs inboarded the tires would probably rub on the frame.

The boxed cj frame is 2 pieces of c-channel overlapped and welded together while the yj frame is just square tubing. Since the cj frame channels are overlapped the bottom of the frame is not flat and it's harder to weld things to. The yj frame is flat on the bottom so it's easy to weld stuff to. But most people don't weld anything to the bottom of a frame anyway.
    81 CJ8 on fullwidths with TBI 360 and some other stuff.

Texas A&M Off-Road